co2 regulator reading whats wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraAgent

Reaction score
gave away all my bottles last week.....and bought akeg conversion kit yesterday. Before I came home switched out bottles. By noon yesterday I had everything hooked up and tested for leaks (sponge and soapy water). Upon hooking up co2 reg read 800 and set my psi to 30. My psi fluctuated as expected but gas reading on reg kept slowly dropping. Its been nearly 24 hours and gas reading is at 600 and fluctuating between that and order more gas line. I figure if I had a leak I would be empty by now, am I wrong?

Mine was the same way when I bought my CO2 tank. Started at 800 until I hooked it up to a keg (and put it in the fridge). Since then (10 or 15 kegs through it so far), it has stayed pretty constant at 600psi.

Is you tank in a fridge? Even at room temps mine fluctuates with air temp changes.

Its in the fridge. If psi is set at 30 for 24 hrs what should I drop it down to for my very first pour

Its in the fridge. If psi is set at 30 for 24 hrs what should I drop it down to for my very first pour

I have mine set at 10-12 psi for serving with 5 foot lines. I force carb at 30. Bleed off the excess pressure from the keg before pouring the first one otherwise you will get a whole lot of foam.

If you had a slow leak, it may not be gone.

But the high-pressure gauge is temperature dependent and no indication of the tank fullness until it hits the red zone.

If your tank was just filled, it will be very cold due to the filling. I have had the pressure reading appear very low for about 12-16 hours after refilling, after which it returns to normal.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back