Do all lagers like to have diacetyl rests?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
Going to attempt first lager this weekend. The 'Something like Stella' recipe. Looks good! Love me some Stella. Also love me a neighbor who gave me an old chest freezer for free that I can now lager in...

Anyways do all lagers like to have diacetyl rests before the lagering?

Anyways do all lagers like to have diacetyl rests before the lagering?

Only if diacetyl is detected. When fermentation is around 3/4 completed, taste a sample. If you taste anything remotely buttery, or if it feels a bit slick or oily on your lips/tongue, go for the diacetyl rest.

Some people just do it as part of their routine, can't hurt I suppose.

Care to post the recipe, me likey Stella too!:mug:

of course! its in the recipe section on this board under pilsner. looks good! the only change i'm going to make is using half the flaked rice.. going to do a 10g batch.. actually i really LOVE North Coast Scrimshaw... Cant seem to find any kind of a clone recipe anywhere.. but i like the idea of trying an american pilsner too. just wondering if for my first lager ever i should stick to a tried and true recipe, instead of trying to create my own.. probably a good idea

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f58/something-like-stella-108648/

To me diacetyl rests are like seatbelts, it doesn't do any harm to utilize it, and it may help when you need it. When I lager I just make it a matter of course to give it 72 hours in a warm enviroment before plunging it into the cold. It won't harm the beer to do so, and if it's needed, then it will help.

If you chill your wort to fermentation temperatures (< 55*F) and then pitch a healthy starter, more than likely you won't need a diacetyl rest. If you start your fermentation warmer, and then move it to the proper temperature once you see activity, then there is a good chance you will need a diacetyl rest.

Latest posts

Back