Question regarding stout faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2T

Brew Monkey
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I picked up this stout faucet from BBB along with a nitrogen regulator. Two days ago I picked up some beer gas and I was off to the races!

Poured my first glass and.....no head at all other than the smallest dusting of bubbles :( I figure I probably have the pressure wrong, or the wrong length of hose or something. Here's my setup:

- carbed the stout for a week and a half with CO2 at 12psi. My first instinct is maybe this isn't long enough?
- Moved the keg over to beer gas @ 30psi.
- 5 ft of beer line to the faucet. This length worked well in the past for regularly poured ales.

So, anything obviously wrong? Maybe I should pour a pint off with just CO2 and see how that looks first, but I'm loathe to dirty another beer line as I just cleaned them :p

You might want to increase your serving pressure. If you have a 75/25 mix, 30 psi gas pressure is only 7.5 psi of CO2 carbonation.

The resistance plate in the faucet is where the head is created, so you don't want more beer line. Also, does your tap have adjustable resistance? Nitro stout should pour very slowly.

I guess it does pour slowly considering the pressure it's at, but 30psi on this faucet is about equivalent to my normal serving speed off CO2.

I also don't see any way to adjust resistance. I thought that might be it and disassembled the faucet to check but came up empty.

I'll try upping the pressure, but that raises another question. For this type of faucet, does raising the serving pressure increase foam, or lowering?

Ok, I answered my own question. I went and cranked the beer gas up to 45psi and got a glass of foam. Gonna have to find a happy medium.

But man, that bubble cascade looked nice ;)

Glad I came across this. Hooked up my first stout faucet after lightly carbing with CO2, then switching to G gas. First few pints I did get the perfect pour. A day later, barely any head, hardly any cascade action. Only difference was the temp in the keezer went down. I'm going to bump up from 30 psi. What pressure at what temp did you finally settle on?

I tried to jack up G gas to 35 psi, still no foam/head. Switched back to CO2 and carbed at 7 psi for a week or so. Went back to G gas at 30 psi and I'm getting nice head, cascading action now. Think I was just undercarbed.

Latest posts

Back