Field Workers Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
This may be the best response I've seen from a brewmaster - George at Water Street Brewery in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I have been looking for a peppery, spicy Saison, and I found one while here on a work trip. I emailed the brewmaster to see if he would give me any clues as to the recipe. I was blow away by his answer:

Number one before any grain or hops is correct yeast. Many Belgian beers rely on the esters and nuances that correct yeast strains produce, especially at correct fermentation temperatures.

One of the classic Saison flavors is pepper and the use of a correct saison strain will(should) produce some pepper spiciness.

We used White Labs 568 Belgian Saison blend, actually a blend of one of thier Saison strains and one of their Belgian Ale strains. We also let the fermetnation go, rocketting up to 80 degrees to get as much craziness as we could out of it

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp568.html

My second recomendation would be a spice addition. I am a huge fan of spices in Saison, mostly to accent yeast ester production, but sometimes to make sure there are correct flavors there. Since a sasion is a beer for field workers, with many recipes, I feel no boundries to producing it. I feel it is important to use as many different ingridients as you like with some sort of harvest/filed worker spirit in your mindset

My spice blend was white pepper, lemongrass, dutch blue poppy seed, corriander and lemon peel. All freshly cracked from a local spice supplier and added 10 to 15 minutes before end of boil to try and preserve some of thier aromas. At the very least, all my saisons would have pepper in them, I prefer the mellower flavor of white pepper

http://www.thespicehouse.com/

Third would be grain, keep it light but use lots! We used a base of Pilsner with malted wheat torrified wheat, unmalted wheat, oats and flaked corn, all thinking about a field worker beer made from "whatever is in the barn" as my recipe will change every year. We started with a higher gravity 1.065 to make sure there was a sweet malt character under the spices.....

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/

Finally I would not worry about hops in MY saison, doesn't mean you shouldn't in yours. I kept my hopping to an absolute minimum, bittering with a minimal amount of German Magnum and a mid addition of Czech Saaz. I would be interested in a Saison with a higher hopping rate from someone else, but mine I profess to have as little hop character as possible. I want just enough bitterness to dry and balance the higher malt load.

This guy kicls a**. :mug::

Look below for my attempt as this recipe, please comment.

I have no idea of the spice additions are at all correct. Please let me know what your experience has been!

Field Workers Saison (Belgian Specialty Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.063 (°P): 15.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.19 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.3
Bitterness (IBU): 29.4 (Average)

65.22% Pilsner
17.39% Torrified Wheat
8.7% Flaked Corn
8.7% Flaked Oats

0.1 oz/Gal Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 oz/Gal Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 oz/Gal Corriander Seed @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal Lemongrass @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal Poppy seed, Dutch Blue @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal White Pepper @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with WLP568 - Belgian Style Saison Ale Blend

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've been reading about it, so this is on my mind, but check out the Boulevard Tank 7 clone thread. It is a bone dry, slightly orange, peppery saison. There are some significant late addition and dry hopping additions to it using amarillo which provides a unique addition compared to many commercial examples.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/boulevard-smokestack-series-tank-7-farmhouse-ale-clone-250256/

On the last page, someone posted their yeast choice which is important.

It's been my experience that a cooler fermentation kicks up the phenolics for most yeasts.

Not sure if Ive seen Tank 7. Is it normally available at a good bottle shop?

Not sure about the "cooler" fermentation thought. Everything I have seen says ramp up the heat to get some real funk and taste out of the yeasties!!

Any thoughts about the spice additions? I doubt 1oz each is the right amount, but I have never used any of them in a beer yet!

Looks like a great recipe and I bet it will be tasty.

I wonder though why you're calling it a field workers saison. My understanding is that that would have been closer to 2-3% rather than 6. Having spent a few summers harvesting on an english farm in my youth I can tell you that 6% you'd be knocked out for the day. Even our usual couple of pints of 3% with lunch in the field would be pretty much all you could take and then get back and do a hard days manual labour in the heat of summer. I'd expect it was a lot hotter in Belgium in summer although given they would have been tougher but also without the benefit of much mechanisation pre war.

Back