Brewing day questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellenm

Reaction score
Cheers brewers, I am brewing my fourth batch this afternoon, and I haven't brewed in about 6 months. I may be on here a few times today, and I thank you in advance, you have all been very helpful in the past.

I am boiling 3 gallons today, and cannot afford a wort chiller. I was considering refridgerating the additional 2 gallons before adding them to the wort to help cool it down faster. Is this safe for my IPA?

Also, I realized that I bought purified water from the store, "minerals added for taste." Not sure if this was chlorinated or not, and the only other water I have besides city tap is distilled water. Any thoughts?

Thanks again, I will be enjoying a few Founders Centinneal IPAs while I brew!

I boil up 4 gallons of water a few days in advance, cool it overnight with a lid on and rack into a sanitized Corny. I put the Corny in a chill it to 38°. I use this to bring up my volume to 5 adding so to the WORT and the remaining in my fermenter.

I do have a WORT Chiller as well.

I put my brew pot in an ice bath for about ten min. Than add to primary with 2 gallons of refridgerated water! Works good! I have no chiller as well!

No worries about the minerals they add - won't be an issue. Go ahead and throw your top off water in the fridge to help with the cooling process.

If you are taking 2 gallons of boiled wort and refrigerating it over night them adding it to your 3 gal of hot wort to lower the final volume to pitching temp, then there shouldn't be any problem. I don't have the formula handy but you can calculate the final temperature of a liquid when adding two liquids of different temperatures.

If you're doing an extract brew, you can plan it in that manner by using chilled boiled water or chilled bottled water and figuring out what volume you'll need to get close to your pitching temp at final wort volume.

You're purified water should be fine, most is distilled, ozonated, and UV treated with minerals added back to it for taste.

I don't have a wort chiller either and last time I brewed it took forever to get to pitching temp. This last brew day I chilled the top off water in the fridge the night before. I also got a keg bucket and made an ice bath to put my pot in. Once the pot was in the ice bath I added the cold water. The wort cooled in about 15-20 minutes. From there I poured it into the primary.

Again, thank you for all the assistance!

New problem: I'm boiling 3 gallons outside with propane and an outdoor cooker. I steeped my grains and waited for the boil. It got to 98 Celsius, 2 degrees below boiling, for about 30 minutes. I put the lid on, and it bumped up to a rolling boil.

I just added my extracts and I'm waiting for it to get back up. It is 57 f outside. Would this contribute?

Also, I know I should cook with a lid due to contaminates that will fall back into my beer.

Yes, I realize I am asking a question about boiling, go ahead with the inevitably hilarious comments!

Again, thank you for all the assistance!

New problem: I'm boiling 3 gallons outside with propane and an outdoor cooker. I steeped my grains and waited for the boil. It got to 98 Celsius, 2 degrees below boiling, for about 30 minutes. I put the lid on, and it bumped up to a rolling boil.

I just added my extracts and I'm waiting for it to get back up. It is 57 f outside. Would this contribute?

Also, I know I should cook with a lid due to contaminates that will fall back into my beer.

Yes, I realize I am asking a question about boiling, go ahead with the inevitably hilarious comments!

You want your lid OFF ! !

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wort-boil-lid-off-97345/

I've got 2 turkey fryer burners. One definitely puts out more flame/heat than the other. I didn't have any problem keeping my boil going, but it was above 80*F outside when I was brewing last Saturday. What's good about the 2 I have (one I found the other was given to me) is that neither of them have that stupid timer on them like the ones you buy now from places like Lowe's or Home Depot.

Back