Why does my Patersbier kit taste like Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InVinoVeritas

Reaction score
A few months ago I brewed my second batch of the Northern Brewer Patersbier, and the description on the kit is as follows: "perfumey floral hops, ripe pear fruit, sour apple, spicy cloves, candied citrus and a slight biscuit character on the drying finish".

The ingredients in this kit are:
.5lbs cara pils (steeped at 160 for 30 mins)
6lbs pilsen malt extract (2lbs for 60 mins, rest at 10 mins)
.75oz hallertau hops (60 mins)
.25oz saaz hops (60 mins)
.25oz saaz hops (10 mins)
Wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity
I fermented at mid 60s in a bucket for 4 weeks, then I was busy and it sat in the bucket at low 60's high 50's for another 4 weeks before I bottled it.

The first time I brewed the kit the hops were different (I think there were tradition instead of hallertau), and I didn't do a late extract addition. The flavor notes in the description were all there, it was a really interesting beer!

I tried one of my new batch for the first time last weekend and it is nothing like my first attempt. The best way I can describe it is that it tastes like a Saison. It's got that distinct barnyard smell and flavor, with some sourness behind it. I enjoy Saison, and it's not a bad beer, but I can't figure out how it could have turned out so differently. Did I get an infection? Did I let it sit too long? Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if bumping one's own topic is allowed, but I had another one last night and it's definitely farm-y in smell and flavor. Would it have been possible that my yeast packet was mislabeled and I actually got a Saison style yeast?

I have the same thing with my latest blonde. Looks and tastes like a saison, but was fermented with US-05

Just a heads up for everyone with a similar question. My beer was infected and that was causing the saison taste

I suspected it was. Brought it into the LHBS and they confirmed it.

I drank it as it still tasted ok. Just wasn't the style I had intended.

Not that it should taste quite like a saison, but many Belgian yeasts will have character not common in "clean" yeasts though it sounds like you were expecting some of that since you did this recipe before. If it tastes sour and/or has barnyard notes, my money would be on infection too.

Latest posts

Back