Blichmann 15g for 5gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying blichmann pots. With the thermometer and the sight glass be low enough to do 5 gallons? I am doing 5 gallons now. But it would be nice if I decide to go to 10 gallons to have the option.

I am thinking of buying blichmann pots. With the thermometer and the sight glass be low enough to do 5 gallons? I am doing 5 gallons now. But it would be nice if I decide to go to 10 gallons to have the option.

I dont have blichmann, but my 15.5 gal mash tun has similarly located ball valve and thermo. 5gal sits about 1" above the thermo. I think something like a megapot you might have trouble since they are so wide, but blichmann should be ok.

For what it's worth anyway...

The sight glass is at about the 2.5 gallon mark, but the therm is up around 7gal. So the therm is pretty worthless for 5 gallons. I understand the therm is up really high on the 10 gal pot too. Somewhere around the 6 gallon mark.

I usually brew 5 in mine, but sometimes do 10 gal batches. Especially, for big brew days.

That's a lot of money to pay just for a sight glass

Not really. If you're using it for a boil kettle and a counterflow then thermometer is pretty worthless anyway. If you have an immersion chiller the thermometer is not so worthless. It would be better if the thermometer was a threaded fitting and you just put a plug in it.

Latest posts

Back