Blow Off Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Is 1/4" ID tube large enough to handle the blow off from a 4 gal batch in a 5 gal or 5 1/2 in a 6 1/2 gal bucket?
I often get a little ooze through an airlock with 1 1/2 gallons of headspace for a day or so.

I think I use 3/8, but 1/4 should work. Keep an eye on it and switch it out if you need to. I have fermented 7 gallons in an 8 gallon bucket with a small blowoff tube with no issues. But every fermentation is different.

It was suggested to me that I could increase the volume in my bucket to within a 1/2 gallon with a blow off, but, since mine is so small (upgraded my siphon hose to 1/2" ID) I'm concerned it may get plugged easily. But maybe keeping my volume to within a gallon would greatly reduce the odds of a problem.
I had been keeping at 1.5 gallons and still often get crud through the airlock.
I'm on an allowance of $70/mo for beer stuff and I have too many needs at the moment to get any more tubing.

I use 1/4" ID on one of my carboys since that was all the tubing I had around at the time - haven't had any issues thus far over a half dozen brews or so. Have one blowing off through it now, no problems. My other carboy has a 3/8" ID tube, probably overkill. I wouldn't sweat it.

Latest posts

Back