Are minikegs safe to sterilize in the oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozorgnax

Reaction score
Hi there and thanks for an amazing site which has really opened my eyes!!!
I just tried kegging with minikegs instead of bottling and I must say I liked the concept very much, no more endless hours filling 40+ bottles and so on... The only drawback is, the minikegs are hard to clean due to their small opening. So my question is if I could sterilize them in the oven like I did for the glass bottles. I read somewhere that aluminum melts in very high temperatures so I guess it could be done... Any thoughts?

Minikegs are made like a any beer can with a lining inside. They are Steel not aluminum like a 12oz can. I would not put them in the oven!

I clean mine with PBW then store upside down in a sunny place for a while to help them dry before putting the dust cap back on and putting away for next time.

I read that they have a plastic lining... that's going to melt a long time before steel or aluminum. How hot would you need to set the oven?

What about a dishwasher w/ "sanitize" mode?

I've thought about getting a few as well. Any idea how much priming sugar you'd use for a mini keg?

Back