I like Natural Light.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day after I moved into my house a dwarf (is that the pc term for midget?) from up the street stopped by to say hi as I was working on a gas light in the yard. He asked me what kind of beer I liked. I made the mistake of answering "cold" and he left and came back with a 12 of genny lite. It was 8:30am. beer was gone by 10:00.

It was alright as it was ice cold.

The day after I moved into my house a dwarf (is that the pc term for midget?) from up the street stopped by to say hi as I was working on a gas light in the yard. He asked me what kind of beer I liked. I made the mistake of answering "cold" and he left and came back with a 12 of genny lite. It was 8:30am. beer was gone by 10:00.

It was alright as it was ice cold.

So he was like a magical dwarf or something? Did you ever see him again or does he just appear once when you buy a new home. No dwarf offering beer showed up at my house, what is up with that?? :mad:

Old Milwaukee was the goto beer in my teenage years. Use to split half a case of those with my buddy while watching cheap ass horror movies on Saturday evenings. It's funny since neither I nor my buddy drink that stuff anymore except when he comes to visit. We buy a case of it just for nostalgia.

Miller High Life. That's the beer that fills the cooler for deer camp every year. Tradition.

Man all this talk of cheap beer drives me nuts, it is against the law to sell a 24 of beer in ontario for less than 28.40 (26 dollars plus .10 each for deposit). Its supposed to keep people from drinking too much. Ah well, I suppose thats what got me into the hobby initially so its not all bad.

Of course Bud is a "premium" beer and accordingly costs $38 a case

So he was like a magical dwarf or something? Did you ever see him again or does he just appear once when you buy a new home. No dwarf offering beer showed up at my house, what is up with that?? :mad:

I think your problem is that you were banned after that tossing incident back in 95.

I used to see him about once a month, he lived 4 houses up across the street. I have a great picture of him in the middle of the street after a huge snowstorm. Makes the snowbanks look about 15 ft tall. Unfortunately he passed away a couple years ago.

Old Milwaukee "It doesn't get any better than this."

Another Great camping beer!

All this talk of cheap beer, and no love for the one that made Milwaukee famous?? Gentlemen, I am disapointed...

Ahhh Schlitz..... Another good one, especially now that the 60's recipe is back. Damn, now I am thirsty, and I hafta work tonight. DOH!!!!

STEEL RESERVE

best bang for your buck out there. My father in law and I sometimes compete in who can buy the cheapest 12-pack. Cheapest and grossest really so two comps in one. I found this at HEB a along time ago when it came out. We didnt look at the ABV until after two and I got up and whoa.

PBR is what all the hipsters drink these days. I love me some Busch beer. Too bad they quit selling Busch beer at Busch Stadium... That was a bad day for me.

PBR is what all the hipsters drink these days. I love me some Busch beer. Too bad they quit selling Busch beer at Busch Stadium... That was a bad day for me.

Are you serious? lol, that's like not selling Miller at Miller Park... What do they have instead?

I found 4 Nattys in the back of SWMBO's food fridge yesterday. My buddy's mom brought them over about a month ago (she doesn't like craft beer) and since my kegs have been empty for a week or so, I promptly drank them down while watching Chicago spank Seattle. They weren't too bad. Might be an inexpensive go to beer for when my pipeline is empty. SWMBO refused to drink them and went on a beer run for some Fat Tire.

I'm a High Life guy myself, especially with the 24oz bottles, apart from that I'm not into light beer. Other favorites include Labatt Blue (I'd tie it with High Life as my favorite cheap beer), Moose Head, and Ice House for hot days.

I recently got turned onto Molson, its light in flavor and very crisp. I actually wonder if Molson light has flavor...

Oh and if you ever see Beer30 light, run away from it!
beer30506.jpg

ahahaha some how we ended up with a case of that beer 30 light at the bar I work at on the weekends. I think it was a promo case from our beer distributor. haven't tried it, but thanks for the heads up.

-=Jason=-

Eh, I just can't get around it. I've had it before, but I like a little more flavor in my beer. When I visit the states my brother assaults Bud like an assassin but I just can't get into it...

Life is too short to drink flavorless beer.

PBR is my domestic canned beer of choice, but can enjoy most anything if appropriate. I have had discussions w/ beer snobs and maintained that "craft beer" is not better than the canned domestics, as they are completely different beers. To me it's like saying that mangos are better than apples....it irritates me when people trash the cannned domestics as inferior, IMO they are exactly as they are supposed to be, not better or worse, but totally different beers.

I have to disagree with you here. At what point can we define a basis for comparison. By this logic, you couldn't say a McDonald's Hamburger is of poorer quality than a fine crafted burger at a 5-Star restaurant. I agree, some times I want a McDonald's Hamburger, but I'm not going to delude myself in to thinking that you can't compare the quality of these two, because they are different.

I will happily agree that if you like Natty Light, more power to ya. Drink to your heart's content. But just like it's fair for me to say that I think one IPA is better than another, I can, and will say with confidence, that craft beer, as a rule, is better than the canned domestics in question.

I gots to tirty paks watin fo me bak at the crib, yo. :D

Rochfort and the like are for the weekends. ;)

Everytime we have a family get together, my brother always brings us a 30 pack of Red Dog, even though I find this beer gross I still drink a few to remind me how much better my beers are, that or if I feel like getting totally drunk I drink a few more.:mug:

i had natty ice and keystone light at a party in the states one time, it was like water. it was a college party, and everyone thought i was real classy drinking molson that i paid $8 for a 6 pack at the grocery store. the novelty was just too much for me. in ontario i drink maclays, $28 for a 24, and it actually tastes like something, since i do all my brewing in nova scotia, where i go to school, and no beer comes cheaper than $40 for a 24

Natural Light ferments in 1 week with no Beechwood chips, Bud Light ferments for 3 weeks with chips, thats where the costs come from. They make less off of Bud Light.

I'm really shocked how expensive beer evidently is in Canada! Crazy! Even with the exchange rate Canadian beer is cheaper here than up there, kind of funny.

A good friend of mine only drinks Coors light, which I'll drink a few of now and then. It's the only BMC beer I've had that actually tastes like nothing.

Other than the occasional Coors, I'll drink Miller High Life if I'm broke. A corner store right by my house used to sell it for $1.95 a 40oz, I'd never even seen 40s of Miller before, or since. After clearing them out several times they raised the price to $2.19, still the cheapest beer I can get my hands on! Comes out to something like $4 a six pack if you do the math.

I'm really shocked how expensive beer evidently is in Canada! Crazy! Even with the exchange rate Canadian beer is cheaper here than up there, kind of funny.

A good friend of mine only drinks Coors light, which I'll drink a few of now and then. It's the only BMC beer I've had that actually tastes like nothing.

Other than the occasional Coors, I'll drink Miller High Life if I'm broke. A corner store right by my house used to sell it for $1.95 a 40oz, I'd never even seen 40s of Miller before, or since. After clearing them out several times they raised the price to $2.19, still the cheapest beer I can get my hands on! Comes out to something like $4 a six pack if you do the math.

the government taxes the hell out of it, i think both on the federal and provincial levels. beer in quebec is damn cheap (well maybe not by USA standards, but i think its as cheap as it gets in canada). Nova Scotia is pricey, which is annoying, but it means that i can get a 24 of alpine, wildcat, or dry ice (our versions of natty ice etc), for the same price as a 24 of sleeman's (my favourite large-scale brew). prices do go up somewhat, if you look to buy craft brews, or generally more expensive imports (heineken, Guinness, etc)

Don't be ashamed OP. It's great that you have a balanced spectrum of beer taste. There is something great about all those cheap beers, especially in the summer.

I personally just 2 days ago bought a 6er of PBR for those occasions when I don't want a big beer. I've noticed that lately when I'm watching hockey and it's cold, I'm craving a budweiser sometimes when I should be craving a DFH chicory stout. For those of you purists, don't worry, I also bought a 6er of Troeg's Hopback Amber (can't wait for Nugget Nectar) to balance my palate. :) My other "shameful" go-to beers are bud select, bud light lime (summer) and MGD.

This is going to sound odd, But i used to drink natty light all the time..
Still have some buddies who buy 3 30pks a week.

Anyone ever make a clone recipe for it???
I kinda miss it at times....And being a cheap guy, Would like to make it...Would be a good summer beer or just drinking beer for my buddies when they come over.
I am guessing for a 5 gal batch:
7lb pils
5lb 2row
2lb wheat
1oz tet 60min
1oz tet 10min
Alc 3.75 IBU 12.2

Thoughts?

I am truly shocked that not once in 7 pages of comments has no one has mentioned the beer that has kept half of Mid-Atlantic college towns hopping on Friday and Saturday nights for the last 40 years. Milwaukee's Best Light...the "Beast" as it is affectionately known was and remains the cheap beer of choice for college freshmen in the ACC.

Before Virginia increased the alcohol taxes in 1994, I recall buying 24 packs for $5.99 at the Shopper's in Harrisonburg. Kegs (15.5 gallons) for $24... yes that would be a full keg for less than the grain bill on a decent 5 gallon IPA.

We thought it was classy to step up to buying the keg of Natty, since those were going for like $30. As seniors we really thought we were hot **** when we starting buying Bud Light for our "private stock" while all the freshmen at our parties had to drink the Beast.

Anyway, if its hot and I'm going to be drinking for a while (football game, off-shore fishing, etc) and don't want to a) get sloppy, or b) dehydrated, I'm going with Bud Light. It's effectively water that will give you a slight buzz after 10 or so.

You guys are sick individuals..... lol I've never enjoyed the taste of any BMC beer or the "beast" as the last user put it. As a matter of fact for the longest time I didn't like beer at all because I thought it tasted like crap. Than out of the blue I started buying craft/micro beers because the labels looked cool. Plus I thought maybe beer would be like sushi and just be an acquired taste. Turns out I just didn't like bad beers and had an expensive taste. It's craft, micro, homebrewed, or none at all for me. Occasionally I'll drink a bud or coors so not to offend the individual offering it to me though. Now it's to the point where I can drink it and it's not horrible, but I will never find myself buying any. The only exception is if the wife and I go out somewhere and it's the only thing on tap or in bottles. Now a days though it seems like you can find at least one craft or micro at any place we go anyway.

No love for the Mickey's? Those little puzzles on the hand grenade caps always make want to have just one more. But I also enjoyed a good 40 of Magnum, Old English, or whatever was cheap. If you're going to go cheap, might as well do it right.

But for a good low country seafood boil, have to have Coors Light or maybe Miller Light. I want to gorge on crab and shrimp, not fill up on good beer. Seriously, the lighter the beer, the better. Beast Light is pretty good for that too.

I am truly shocked that not once in 7 pages of comments has no one has mentioned the beer that has kept half of Mid-Atlantic college towns hopping on Friday and Saturday nights for the last 40 years. Milwaukee's Best Light...the "Beast" as it is affectionately known was and remains the cheap beer of choice for college freshmen in the ACC.

Before Virginia increased the alcohol taxes in 1994, I recall buying 24 packs for $5.99 at the Shopper's in Harrisonburg. Kegs (15.5 gallons) for $24... yes that would be a full keg for less than the grain bill on a decent 5 gallon IPA.

We thought it was classy to step up to buying the keg of Natty, since those were going for like $30. As seniors we really thought we were hot **** when we starting buying Bud Light for our "private stock" while all the freshmen at our parties had to drink the Beast.

I'm so glad that I grew up in Portland, Maine. We'd get kegs of Allagash White and Shipyard IPA for cheaper than the low-rent Busch/Natty Light/etc offerings, and for the same price as the Bud/Miller stuff we could get Geary's Pale Ale or the Allagash-of-the-month. Such good times. Nowadays the small-run Allagash stuff is probably in 750ml corked and caged bottless at $15 a piece; back then we were throwing back barrel-aged Belgian quads for $.25/12oz if we shelled out for a keg.

...myself buying any. The only exception is if the wife and I go out somewhere and it's the only thing on tap or in bottles. Now a days though it ...

"Check Please!"

I'm kidding, at this point, I'll get a Scotch or some wine. Like you, I'll take a domestic light beer if offered, so as not to offend, but if I'm gonna pay for it, I want to enjoy it, and I just don't really enjoy them anymore.

Not sure why but the beers from BMC (the standards) give me instant headaches. Anyone know what would do that?

I have a friend (non-homebrewer) that tells me used to drink Bud all the time, until they started using something that adds tannins to the beer-which give him a headache.

Homebrewing isn't cheap, so it's surprising
all these lite beer drinkers are coming forward.
I had some Bud Lite for the first time ever at
a relative's house a few weeks ago and it tasted
like Perrier with a beerish spritz to it. The other
beer there was Red Hook Spring Ale, which is
one of those typical "American" ales brewed with
American Ale yeast. It leaves no body, the beer
is overcarbonated like the Bud Lite, and the overall
impression is tartness, though the Red Hook had
some nice hop flavor so it wasn't too bad. But I
can see why so many homebrewers use American
ale yeast, it gives a beer with the character of
"lawnmower" beer. Thanks but no thanks!
Ray

I don't use american yeast that often. And I hardly think this thread represents a big cross section of this sit, or homebrewers in general.

I think this is more of a "I aint too good for fizzy lite beer" sound off than a "hey, this stuff is AWESOME!" thread. Most homebrewers wouldn't even stop in on this thread, passing it over for something that sounds more interesting.

Where are you from rayg?

gotta say i pick up a twelve pack or 30 rack of keystone at least every six months, or whenever my BMC friends are coming over, and have to admit I drink any and all leftovers especially in the summer and thoroughly enjoy every one of them even though I love my craft beer more, just takes me back to my debauchery in college I guess..

Homebrewing isn't cheap, so it's surprising
all these lite beer drinkers are coming forward.
Ray

Um, what does money have to do with anything. This thread is about admitting to drinking light BMC lager on occasion and not being ashamed about it. If you think wealth and taste are at all related, I can assure you they are are not. Implying that only those without money drink light BMC beer, well that is just plain snobbery, dude.

I live the high life.

I enjoy a good homebrew or import on occasion, but nothing (IMHO) goes better with wings or pizza and a sports game like good ol' cheap High Life.

Um, what does money have to do with anything. This thread is about admitting to drinking light BMC lager on occasion and not being ashamed about it. If you think wealth and taste are at all related, I can assure you they are are not. Implying that only those without money drink light BMC beer, well that is just plain snobbery, dude.

It's not snobbery, it's practicality. Lite beer is a high tech
"beer" that is difficult to duplicate at home and also pretty
cheap relative to other commercial beers. Why homebrew
if you like another kind of beer and it's cheap and much less
work to just buy it? I guess there must be a few people who
like the process of brewing so much that they would try to
make lite beer, but not that many. It's like becoming a cook
so you can learn to make spam and rice-a-roni (two other
high-tech products, by the way).
Ray

If I'm at a sports bar that has big mugs of bud light on special, I'll go for a couple with my wings or nachos or whatever. i never buy BMC from the store anymore

Latest posts

Back