Should I make a cider or a Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up some unpasteurized cider at the local mill. I also just bought some Trader Joe's Cranberry/Raspberry juice (also contains apple and grape juice). I have a ton of honey and some turbinado and dememera sugar. Debating whether to make a cider or mead (pyment)? What do you think? Any recipe suggestions?

I vote for a cyser, or cyser-like fermentation, but you make what sounds good to you; you're the one who'll be drinking it afterall. Regards, GF.

BOTH?

Is there any reason not too?Even if you are short the fermentation vessles a Bucket is only like, what, $12.00 max?

This is what I am thinking about for the cider recipe. Will post the mead shortly. What do you think? Will I need any acid blend or other "stuff"?

Primary
2 Gal Apple Cider
1 Gal Cranberry/Raspberry juice
2# Dememera sugar
3 campden tablets, 1.5 tsp pectin enzyme 12 hrs later, D47 yeast 12 hrs later. Yeast energizer & nutrient.

Secondary
3# Raspberry Puree
1# Craisins
1 can Apple Juice concentrate
top off with Cranberry/Raspberry juice
Yeast nutrient.

I doubt you'll need any acid blend, though depending on your personal tastes you might consider adding a wee bit of tannin. With the acid from the cran/raz juice & from the fruit, I think it'll be tart enough, again it's what tastes good to you. Just 1 question though: What made you decide to add craisins instead of fresh cranberries? I'm just curious. Regards, GF.

I thought the fresh cranberries would add even more tartness. I believe the craisins will also add some complexity or mouthfeel. I could be wrong however. I could be talked out of it and go with cranberries!

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, I was just curious as to why you made the choice you did on the craisens. Regards, GF.

Kinda late here but did you end up using craisins? My buddy gave me #7 of dried crans that I was thinking of putting in my mead...

Back