Dry hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relyt

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some advice and opinions on my next brew...

So this is going to be my second brew... I picked up an IPA kit today at my local brew shop. The kit only came with 1oz of Galena for bittering and 1oz of Fuggle for finishing (both are pellets), and the finished product is supposed to turn out around 63 IBU. I bought extra hops because I want more to satisfy my hoppy appetite.

I bought 1oz Nugget pellets (12.2% AAU), which I had planned on throwing in at some point during the boil... I'm not sure when?

I also bought 1oz Cascade leaf (7.1% AAU), and 1oz Centennial leaf (11.4% AAU) which I planned on using for dry hopping...

So I guess my question is whether or not I've gone waaay overboard with the hops? :confused: Also, should I use them in a different order or hold off on using some? Really, any advice on at what point to add the different hops (including dry hopping) would be helpful.

I was going to let this batch sit in the fermenter for a few weeks to a month as well, so do you recommend still using a secondary, or using the primary only?

Thanks for any/all advice, I could use it!

Primary only is fine. I guess the best question would be...what kind of flavor do you like in your ipa? Fuggles is kinda earthy, galena and nugget are both good for bittering and have a pungent flavor, cenntennial and cascade are of course your c hops...citrusy in flavor...though I get a little more spice from cascade than most do.

Well I guess I like a nice mixture of all of that, very strong, but more on the citrusy side and not overpoweringly bitter. So since centennial and cascade are citrusy and my leaf hops, would they be the right ones to use for dry hopping? Should I hold off on using my Nugget pellets?

Use the Nuggets....maybe at 10-15 mins.

Dry hop w/ the cascade and centennial.

Dry hop in the primary after 7-10 days (fermentation over), and leave the hops in for 10-14 days.

Rack, bottle, enjoy!

Back