Bottle-Carbing a Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I bottled my Pils last weekend---my first true lager. It's been lagering at 36-39f for 2.5 months. As such, I added some rehydrated dry SafLager yeast to the cooled priming solution.

Now, with my ales, just to be sure that they carbonate, I put them in a warm room for a week or so after I bottle them. This has worked very well.

But I'm thinking, with the lager, my basement temps (upper 50's, lower 60's) will be fine for bottle carbing, since the SafLager likes it between 51 and 59. Is this a safe bet? I just don't want to warm them up and risk off-flavors from what would essentially be a steam-beer-fermentation in bottle...but I also want to make sure they carbonate.

Basement temps will work fine. I bottled a small portion of my dopplebock and kegged the rest and the bottles are carbonated after ten days at 55ish.

I used the Cooper Carb drops.

Gotta say I was impressed.

My beer was up tp %100 carb'd in 7 days.
Same beer I used the regular corn sugar and it took 2+ weeks.

As far as I'm concerned, Corn Sugar gets a thumbs-down from me. I'm tired of it. At first, I used corn sugar. Since I hadn't brewed before, I had nothing to compare it to. Then I ran out of corn sugar, but had alot of DME, so I started priming with DME. Suddenly, my carbonation/bubbles/head had a much creamier, finer texture. Then I ran out of DME and went back to corn sugar because it was cheaper. And now that I've had DME-primed brew, I really don't think corn sugar is any good. It produces harsher, larger bubbles...more like the bubbles in a can of soda. So I'm officially switching back to DME.

Back