adding coco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
When is the best time to add a pound of the stuff? I heard coco powder leaves about a gallon of trub. Is this true? how about 0 fat bakers chocolate?

You want something with the lowest fat content you can find, but that won't make a difference in the trub. It's the cocoa solids that settle out and make the goo at the bottom of your fermenter. They're also what give you the flavor.

I added mine with about 10 minutes left in the boil. Just enough to make sure it gets totally incorporated into the wort. You kind of have to work to break up the clumps, kind of like the blobs you get when making chocolate milk.

Leave your beer in primary for a good long time and it'll settle out nice and compact with the yeast at the bottom.

I only used 9oz though so I don't know how a full pound will react. That seems like a LOT of chocolate. What are you making?

thanks.
Im making the "chocolate ale" recipe that was in the beginner forum a couple weeks ago. There were a bunch of different opinions on how chocolatey it will be but I ended up goin with the one pound instead of 12 oz or 8 oz. Plus me and my girlfriend are beer/chocolate fiends, so why not mix em up!

Ahh. I wouldn't use that much since I think it would be too much chocolate flavor. But, that seems to be just want you want so go for it!

I picked up some good 0 fat cocoa powder at the food co-op for mine and it worked well so far. Add it late in the boil, dump it all in the primary give it a few weeks to settle out.

The picture I posted in this forum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/leaving-beer-behind-your-yeast-116795/ were of the yeast cake from the beer with with the cocoa powder. I left it in primary for 3.5 weeks. I'll be opening the first bottle tonight to see how it came out.

Just drank the first bottle and the chocolate is PERFECT for what I was looking for. Nice bitter dark chocolate flavor right up front, then other flavors fill in behind it. If you go with a full lb of cocoa, it's going to be a chocolate bomb. If that's what you want, then you're golden.

I made a chocolate cream stout and threw in 8 oz. of cocoa powder in the boil. It did leave a ton of stuff. Next time I do I am going to throw it in the mash instead, which will cut down on the cocoa sludge at the bottom of my primary.

I think that'll also cut way down on the flavor it gives you. It's that time sitting in the primary that the beer picks up the chocolate flavor from the cocoa.

Latest posts

Back