Ways store associates respond (that make you want to set them on fire)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate that some places will add a tip to your bill without your consent or even a mention about it on the menu. Usually it's 15%, which is low and I will usually tip at least 20-25% for good service. It kinda screws good servers. I won't tip extra if they have already been so bold as to force me to tip. And it promotes bad servers and bad service since they know they are getting a 15% tip automatically. At that point why not just raise food costs and mention tip is included? I think it's a little sneaky and I'm sure some people don't notice and leave a tip on top of the tip that's been added!

tx-brewer said:
Do yall tip for to go orders?

If I'm picking up than no - you are basically just paying for the food at that point, there's no service but always on delivery.

No, unless it is brought out and put in my car and they take money inside and bring me change. If I have to get out of my car or it is drive thru I dont tip

Home Depot is not my favorite place, when we bought our house I went there and I was buying paint we went to checkout and I picked up one of the can from the bottom of the cart where the paint guy put them and the lid just slid off and dumped half a can of paint all over me.
Then ensued an hour of mne standing there covered in paint while my wife and 1 year old son drove home to get me a change of clothes while the staff cleaned the floor and the manager made a big fuss over a small amount of paint on the sole of his shoe, not once did any one of them offer to take me somewhere private as we were next to the exit, so every customer was looking and pointing at me as they left the store.
If It had been me as a manager I would have at least got a cheap pair of coveralls and offered those to change into.

Home Depot is not my favorite place, when we bought our house I went there and I was buying paint we went to checkout and I picked up one of the can from the bottom of the cart where the paint guy put them and the lid just slid off and dumped half a can of paint all over me.
Then ensued an hour of mne standing there covered in paint while my wife and 1 year old son drove home to get me a change of clothes while the staff cleaned the floor and the manager made a big fuss over a small amount of paint on the sole of his shoe, not once did any one of them offer to take me somewhere private as we were next to the exit, so every customer was looking and pointing at me as they left the store.
If It had been me as a manager I would have at least got a cheap pair of coveralls and offered those to change into.

I would have had the manager either begging for mercy or crying for his mommy, if not both

I would have had the manager either begging for mercy or crying for his mommy, if not both

Plus the store would be paying to replace any item of clothing I had on, as well as something for the spouses' time going home to get clean clothes.

And that's assuming I didn't haul it over to the paint counter and rip that guy up one side and down the other.

I just had a waiter introduce himself & say "Good Morning!" will huge enthusiasm.

Bummer it was 7:00 at night.

The rest of the meal he felt he had to apologize. D'oh!

Now this guy wanted 15%? The lights were on but nobody was home.

OK, we all make mistakes........................... but come on!? At the start?? Sure it was the end of the shift for him, but for 2 minutes you can't put your thinking cap on? WTF?

It's not rocket science, you will not have to recite String Theory, but at least have an idea what time of the day it is.

idiot waiter at breakfast this morning didn't write anything down

the omelettes come with their nasty home fries or french fries and I ordered french fries

of course, I got (french) CORRECTION: HOME fries. and the effer never came around to refill coffee.

the BigHair was paying, she left 20%, I would have left 10%

idiot waiter at breakfast this morning didn't write anything down

the omelettes come with their nasty home fries or french fries and I ordered french fries

of course, I got french fries. and the effer never came around to refill coffee.

the BigHair was paying, she left 20%, I would have left 10%

So you got what you ordered? Im confused lol

I am only a little bit polite, so I read your experience as something my fiancee would have left me for, but I don't think I would look to bed bath and beyond for glass bottles. I have a friend in the sanitation industry who brings me 22 ounce bottles all the time. Haven't had to buy any yet! if i do run a little short, I just buy some, drink them and sanitize. But who knows, you could be brewing a much bigger volume than I do.

For the record, bringing me the wrong stuff is a mistake. We can discuss that. We can move past that. No real harm done.

But I'm holding firm on this...

If you display no understanding of what french fries or a glass bottle ARE... youre an idiot who should be treated as such.

For the record, bringing me the wrong stuff is a mistake. We can discuss that. We can move past that. No real harm done.

But I'm holding firm on this...

If you display no understanding of what french fries or a glass bottle ARE... youre an idiot who should be treated as such.

yes, it's a mistake, but writing the order down would minimize the chances of mistakes at 2 points in time. when you relay the order to the cooks and when the cooks hand you the food

if he wrote the order down, he can look at what he wrote and compare to what the cooks gave him and figure out it wasn't right.

he's not an idiot for making a mistake, he's an idiot for not writing the order down and thinking his memory is infallible.

No, unless it is brought out and put in my car and they take money inside and bring me change. If I have to get out of my car or it is drive thru I dont tip
I'll second that. I'm assuming that you mean a regular restaurant that has a "to go" section (Friday's, Outback, etc.). My formative years were spent in the employ of a German delicatessen in NYC (Woodhaven, Queens). All our stuff was to go. I never got a tip and never expected to get one. Nor do I feel the need to tip someone who has the difficult task of pouring a cup of coffee for me at Drunkin' Dognuts...

I'll second that. I'm assuming that you mean a regular restaurant that has a "to go" section (Friday's, Outback, etc.). My formative years were spent in the employ of a German delicatessen in NYC (Woodhaven, Queens). All our stuff was to go. I never got a tip and never expected to get one. Nor do I feel the need to tip someone who has the difficult task of pouring a cup of coffee for me at Drunkin' Dognuts...

I agree, but it is important to reiterate that the Dunkin Donuts guy is making at least minimum wage... not $2.50 and hour.

Do yall tip for to go orders?

I almost never tip a to go order, unless they do something that goes above and beyond them putting my food in a box and in the bag.

I always tip delivery people be it curbside or to my house, and I always tip servers unless the service is beyond terrible.

I hate that some places will add a tip to your bill without your consent or even a mention about it on the menu. Usually it's 15%, which is low and I will usually tip at least 20-25% for good service. It kinda screws good servers. I won't tip extra if they have already been so bold as to force me to tip. And it promotes bad servers and bad service since they know they are getting a 15% tip automatically. At that point why not just raise food costs and mention tip is included? I think it's a little sneaky and I'm sure some people don't notice and leave a tip on top of the tip that's been added!

I've never had a gratuity automatically added to a bill unless it was a large part, usually 8 people or more get an automatic 18-20% and it's usually listed on the menu as such.

I was in a Hooters in Miami a few years ago. They added 18% to the bill even though there were only two of us. I usually tip more than that and it kind of pissed me off, so I asked the manager what was up. He said that they got a lot of tourists from other countries and if they didn't add the tip the waitresses wouldn't make any money. I was ok with the explanation, and in my case it could have cost the server a couple of bucks, but I'll bet that there are quite a few people that tip on top of it, just a JRems suggested.

I'm cool with Hooters's servers making whatever extra tips they can. They put up not just with ******** but also nice people who are ******** that day after a few dozen beers.

I'm ok with most servers making a few extra bucks. They all have to put up with ******** (this thread is proof of that..)

Regardless of what we think of tipping verses having the company pay more, it is the system we have in this country. It pisses me off when I see people stiff a server to "prove a point". The point they usually end up proving is that they are a cheap bastard.

I'm ok with most servers making a few extra bucks. They all have to put up with ******** (this thread is proof of that..)

Regardless of what we think of tipping verses having the company pay more, it is the system we have in this country. It pisses me off when I see people stiff a server to "prove a point". The point they usually end up proving is that they are a cheap bastards.

Hey, if a server is absolutely terrible I would consider it. That ***** who commented on the way I pronounce Italian words for example (I bet she spent a semester in Rome and now she's a friggin authority), I almost stiffed her. I didnt. I tipped 10%. Take that.

Regardless of what we think of tipping verses having the company pay more, it is the system we have in this country. It pisses me off when I see people stiff a server to "prove a point". The point they usually end up proving is that they are a cheap bastard.

After being a busboy and working in a restaurant during my college years I can't leave absolutely nothing for a tip. Even if the service is absolute dog **** I'll leave ten percent to "prove a point" like Creamy said.

After being a busboy and working in a restaurant during my college years I can't leave absolutely nothing for a tip. Even if the service is absolute dog **** I'll leave ten percent to "prove a point" like Creamy said.

I get that. I'm talking about the "It's not my fault the company doesn't pay them more" guys that justify being cheap by stiffing the server out of protest or in the name of changing the system.

We have signed on for certain things in this country whether we like it or not. We have agreed to park in an appropriate manner if we drive a car, and our behavior whilst driving can cause our car to go from "property" to "not my property" in rather short order. We also agree to tip bartenders and servers. We agreee the moment we choose to not fire up the stove and go out to eat. Its also important to remember that the things a server can do to your food if you are an *******... the stuff you will likely never find out about... are horrible and legion.

Please say it was red paint that got on your coat. Please.

:D

No it was white paint on a new black leather jacket, they do pay me for most of the clothes but the $200 for the jacket they had the nerve to send me Home Depot gift cards it took 6 months to get that.

Ok I got one from a few years ago. My dad and I were buying some steaks in the meat department of a grocery store. They were cut a little on the thin side, so he asked the guy behind the counter if we could get some bigger steaks. It was pretty obvious that we were looking for thicker steaks.

The guy's response: "I can't control the size of the animal, sir."

I'll never forget that.

This threads been dead for awhile but I had a great one today. Went rite-aid today with the boy to get a birthday card for wife tomorrow. While checking out the cashier informed me copper is a great conductor of electricity. She seemed a few beers short of a six-pack.

Back