Pulled the trigger- RIS888

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Ok well I orderd the Russian Imperial Stout kit from AHS. I am going to do this for my first AG brew.

Any pointers?

Square cooler-

Ive got to build it first. lol. I wanted to get this brewed because Im leaving for Afganistan in a few weeks and wont be back until may.

Give it some time to really age. Unfortunatley it will be aging in a carboy. Thats ok right?

Wow! Starting out with a big one!

To get any kind of decent efficiency with a grain bill this large, you're going to have to sparge more and boil longer than you normally would.

What size kettle do you have? If you do a 90 min boil, you'll need to start with ~ 7.5 gals, if 120 mins, then ~ 8.25 gals. If you're pot's not that big, then you'll need to collect the extra wort in a bucket and add it to the kettle as you have room.

Another suggestion I have is get a demo of Beersmith to play around with strike temps and volumes. Shoot for a water/grain ratio of around 1.25. Use a single infusion mash schedule to make things simple for you.

Poindexter said:
I would say have some *ME on hand so you can bump it on up to 1.075+ before you pitch it. Just in case.

That's prb the best bet....you have no idea what your efficiency is going to be since it is your first AG batch so you might as well play it safe.

GOT my kit from AHS!

Wow 14lbs of pale and 6.5lbs of specialty grains looks intimdating. But I gotta tell you - Its way more impressive than extracts

Listen to the Jamil Show on RIS.
Be sure to pitch enough yeast and use a blow off tube, these things are notorious for explosive fermentations (I still have RIS stains almost two years later).

Stay safe in Afganistan.

Back