Flaked corn and rice, stuck mash, need tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidbait

Reaction score
I tried a partial mash recipe the other day using 4 lbs grains, 2 pounds flaked corn and a half pound flaked rice. I mashed it at 152 for 1 hour 45 mins (probably too long), and immediatly was stuck. I have never been stuck. Did I mash the flaked corn and rice too long? It almost looked like oatmeal before I started my sparge.

I increased the mash time due to recent issues with efficiency.

Any tips on using flaked corn and rice would be great!

With only 4 lbs of malt, you're going to need rice hulls. Probably quite a bit.

Yeah, I can even find them at mine for $4 a pound. I usually only use a couple of handfuls. (That's my actual measurement)

Another thing you might want to look at is your manifold/false bottom. I started out with an 18"x1/2" (maybe 3/8"? standard size, whatever that is) stainless braid from a sink supply line and had stuck sparge after stuck sparge, even using rice hulls. I've since switched to a water heater supply line braid. 18"x1.5" and even with a 60/40 wheat/malt mix I can't get a stuck sparge -- WITHOUT rice hulls. It's a $6 part from Home Depot and it's definitely made my brewing a lot easier.

Rice Hulls and hot water.

How hot was your sparge water? It is best to keep the grain bed at least 160*F, so your sparge water should be at least 170*F. A cool grain bed is a dense grain bed.

Rice Hulls and hot water.

How hot was your sparge water? It is best to keep the grain bed at least 160*F, so your sparge water should be at least 170*F. A cool grain bed is a dense grain bed.

Captain, I was stuck before the sparge. Then tried thinning it out with sparge water, no luck :mad:. I knew I was in trouble when I opened the top and it was about the consistency of oatmeal (not quite, but that's what it reminded me of).

I do sparge at a higher temp. Looks like the common theme is rice hulls, I am on it!

Thanks to all for the replies, love the site. Wish I knew about it long ago!

UPDATE:

I just got done mashing the same recipe...but added 3 large hand fulls of rice hulls. Wow, worked great! No issues at all. Plus, they were only 90 cents a pound.

Thanks again all that helped!

squid,

what type of bottom do you have?

I ask because I use the stainless braid (done about 6-8 all grains) and i plan on using corn and rice for my next batch. I've heard that guys who use the stainless braid don't havfe a lot of problems with getting stuck.

so far it's worked for me and I've done 1 batch 50/50 with 2-row and wheat and another with about 45/45/10 % for 2-row/wheat/oats

squid,

what type of bottom do you have?

I ask because I use the stainless braid (done about 6-8 all grains) and i plan on using corn and rice for my next batch. I've heard that guys who use the stainless braid don't havfe a lot of problems with getting stuck.

so far it's worked for me and I've done 1 batch 50/50 with 2-row and wheat and another with about 45/45/10 % for 2-row/wheat/oats

Hey Silly, we are neighbors! I have a CPVC manifold. It only has two rows, so probably isn't optimal. The rice hulls fixed my issue though.

Back