Blueberry blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neonsilver

Reaction score
Need to make this for SWMBO but I've never created my own recipe before. It's going to be an extract brew with steeping grains but I don't know which grains to steep. So far this is what is popping into my head and I'm probably way off on the style.

5 or 6 lbs. Extra light DME

1 oz. Mt hood at 60
1/2 oz at 15
1/2 oz at 5

Should I be using real blueberries or just use extract? Will the Mt. Hood hops be good for bittering, flavor and aroma? I was thinking about a wheat but I'm thinking a blonde would be a little lighter and show off the blueberry more. Please critique away.:cross:

After more research it looks like I don't really need any steeping grains for a blonde but I'm still wondering about the hops. I need something that is low in aa with not much bittering but flavor and aroma. Still wondering if the extract would be the best bet for the blueberry as well. Thanks in advance guys.

I would use extract. I used real blueberry's in my American wheat... and they just all fermented out! so if you use real ones.... kill off the yeast.

i would lose those last two hop additions. you really don't want that stuff interfering with the blueberry. i've made a raspberry blonde and folks tend to like it. i just use the oregon puree though. if you wanted to steep some grain, i wouldn't go over .5# of crystal 10.

i wouldn't kill the yeast though. i would dump the puree in the secondary fermenter, then rack the (mostly) fermented beer on top and let it take off. for the raspberry, it fermented it out, but left a nice delicate razz flavor and aroma and made the beer pink :)

aside from that though, looks good!

Ok so this is the recipe as it stands now.

5 lbs DME possible 3 lb late addition for a lighter color.

1 oz. mt hood at 60 min.

2 lbs blueberry in secondary. (would this be ok if I just did it in the primary right away?)

extract to taste in bottling bucket.

edit: also the blueberries I'll be using might be of the frozen variety, if they are should I use less of them?

nah, i wouldn't use less. some of that aroma is going to get scrubbed out during fermentation. i would even say add a pound.

Sorry for reopening this old thread. But I was thinking of brewing up a Blueberry Blonde Ale and a search pulled this thread up. How did the ale turn out?

I was thinking of using the following:

6.6# Briess Golden Light LME
3# Vintner's Blueberry Puree
1oz of US Golding Hops

Looking to brew ~ 5 gallons of beer

Back