Modify a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I was going to take this recipe from one website and add rasberry extract to it at bottleing or I could go with something someone else sent me in another thread in the recipe section.

Has anyone just added something to a recipe that was premade?

Irish Red Ale Extract Kit
O.G: 1040 / Ready: 6 weeks

Specialty Grains
0.5 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast
0.125 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
0.125 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate

Fermentables
6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup

Boil Additions
1 oz. Argentina Cascade (60 min)

If you choose dry yeast
Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 64-70° F.

If you choose liquid yeast
Wyeast #1272 American Ale Yeast II. Optimum temperature: 60-72° F.

thanks
Jake

Most of us take recipes that were made by someone else and add to them. If you want a raspberry Irish ale, then go for it. If I were doing it, I'dd use real raspberries or puree in secondary, but if you are fine with the extract, then by all means go for it.

Just remember that a little goes a long way.

I made a raspberry Irish Red with raspberry extract a few years ago. First and only time I think I'll use fruit extract. Had a medicine-like taste to it.

If you use raspberry extract I would split the batch and only do half. I did a raspberry chocolate stout and ended up giving it away. It wasn't very good.

I think I'll go with the puree as I'm not into medicine in my drink.. hahah

I'm not sold on the idea of raspberry in my irish red ale. But let us know how it works out!

i'll look for puree today too.

It looks like that recipe kit is from Northern Brewer, right? They have fruit purees. You could order one with your kit and not pay any more for shipping. I bought their extra pale ale kit once and added 1 lb. of light DME and another ounce of hops.

I went to my local supply store and met a guy from the brew club (Maltose Falcons) here in LA.

I talked to him about it and he gave me some really good suggestions and ideas on the beer.

He worked with 6 others on a recipe for one of the big microbrews here in Cali. They called it "Super 7". It will be served here in LA at one of the BJ's Pizza places. Not sure if it will be bottled for major distro.

I picked up stuff to make a red ale there and he said he had done something similar and how he did it and it turned out pretty good.

I walked away with stuff to make a Steam Beer as well. :) and a third carboy.

While there I also talked to a guy who wants to start brewing and gave him some pointers I've learned from this forum and told him to register.

I can't wait till Friday when we start this Rasberry beer.

Back