Straight A to Clean my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I've been using Straight A to clean/sanitize my bottles because it says it's good for removing labels also. I always end up with this weird film on my bottles after I am done. Yes I know it's not a "no rinse cleanser" and I have been rinsing them 10 times or more and still have this film on them. It looks almost like condensation but when I rub my fingers over the film, it feels rough, not smooth. Does anyone know what this is? I have still been bottling with this film and the beer tastes fine. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way to clean my bottles while removing labels? Thanks.

Charlie

Straight-A, as I understand, is NOT a sanitizer...its only a cleaner (and really good at removing bottle labels).

clean with straight-A, sanitize with a different product, like One-Step (no-rinse sanitizer), or StarSan.

The film shows up if left too long. It must be a by product of hard water.

If you mix Straight A with distilled water you get no film.

If you mix it double strength, fill the bottles with regular water and just soak the outside (labels), you use less, won't get the film inside the bottle and can wipe it off. It is tough to get out of the inside of a bottle.

Barry

Back