Tape Strip on Outside of Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I thought I was done with asking dumb questions in regard to brewing, but what are those strips I see on the outside of carboys in some of the posters pictures?

It's a black strip that appears to have numbers on it, or a scale of somekind. I assume it is for clarrity or timelapse or something, but just curious to what the hell it is, what it does, and how I get one if they are usefull. Thanks.

I thought I was done with asking dumb questions in regard to brewing, but what are those strips I see on the outside of carboys in some of the posters pictures?

It's a black strip that appears to have numbers on it, or a scale of somekind. I assume it is for clarrity or timelapse or something, but just curious to what the hell it is, what it does, and how I get one if they are usefull. Thanks.

Click pic for link to Williams Brewing

God, I"m an idiot. Those would be convenient. Wondering if I can find them online, as I do not live very close to my nearest LHBS. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming they work well?

God, I"m an idiot. Those would be convenient. Wondering if I can find them online, as I do not live very close to my nearest LHBS. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming they work well?

Within 1 degree of internal temperature. Do not let them sit in water or they will die. They are very useful and very cheap.

Click on the photo I posted to go to the product page at williamsbrewing.com. It's $2.50 i think. They work very well, on both plastic and glass.

I've got the "Fermometer" brand strips. I was just wondering, if I make a swamp cooler, should I keep the water level below the temp. strip, or will it work submerged? I would think it should be kept dry, but ya never know...

I've got the "Fermometer" brand strips. I was just wondering, if I make a swamp cooler, should I keep the water level below the temp. strip, or will it work submerged? I would think it should be kept dry, but ya never know...

As I said, keep it dry. I try to set mine at about the 4.5 gallon mark so when I was using water baths, I could keep it above water.

Another option: I got mine from a pet store (they also make them for aquariums). Just keep an eye on the temperature ranges--sometimes the aquarium ones read 2 or 4 degrees apart, which might not be accurate enough for you.

Yeah, you really need to keep those things dry (so I'm told!)

I've never tried it, but I've heard that submerging them will ruin them.

I submerged mine by accident for a week or two, thinking i was using a carboy without the stick-on thermometer.

It went all white and unreadable, while it was wet. After it dried it worked fine.

Keep in mind this was total immersion in a water bath; I'm sure an occasional wetting while cleaning will not affect it.

Question: If the submersion in water kills the thermometer strip, couldn't you just put saran wrap or something of the sort over it and have it survive putting the bucket in a swamp cooler/ice bath for extended periods?

I ruined two in my swamp cooler. Since then I just use a cheap floating aquarium thermometer to check temps. As long as there isn't a huge difference in the temp of the wort and water in the cooler, it will not take long for the temps to equalize. At this point the floating thermometer should be pretty accurate I think.

It might work to cover it with clear packing tape to try to seal it. I use the swamp cooling method, but I just drape the towel so it's not over the thermometer. I did kill one on the past by getting it wet repeatedly.

Back