Fermenting for too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msudawgs267

Reaction score
I made a wheat beer and for various reasons I could not bottle at the 3 week mark like I wanted.

It has now been fermenting for 58 days (8 weeks). Is it ruined? Should I bottle and hope for the best? Any input is appreciated, thanks everyone!

Have you tasted it? As the saying goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating (or drinking in this case).

Well I've sure never waited 8 weeks to bottle but if it looks and tastes ok, why not try it? The longest I've went was 4 weeks on a 1.080 IPA. I rarely brew high gravity beers though, mostly in the high 40's-50's on which I normally do 2-3 weeks.

Beer looks good. Rack and bottle. There should still be a good layer of Co2 in the carboy so dont worry about oxidation issues.

Though I usually only brew IPA'S amd not wheats I don't think 8 weeks is anything to crazy. With how good the strains of yeast are for home brewing you really don't have to worry about the same things you did 10-15 years ago. The yeast now is almost designed to keep cleaning up after itself over and over, now I'm not saying ferment for a year but I would feel comfortable at 8 weeks.

Back