2nd batch recipe alterations.. ??'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridemywideglide

Reaction score
I've had my BB Irish Stout kit in bottles for 2 weeks now, and while it tastes pretty good (especially for my first time) I'd like to get a little more of the carmel flavor out next time.
I'm switching to DME also. Here's the original recipe:
6.6#'s Plain Dark Extract
8oz Malto Dextrin
12oz Crushed Crystal 60L
4oz Crushed Black Patent
4oz Crushed Roasted Barley
2oz Norther Brewer Hops
1/2oz Fuggle Hops @ 55 minutes

My thoughts were going to 16oz on the Crystal... Will this get me where I want to be?
Also going to DME, reduce LME by 20% correct? Thus giving me 5.3#'s for DME..?

Thanks

I'd do one thing at a time. There will be a difference in the flavour profile of the DME vs the LME. Kuddos for repeating the same beer to tweak it to your preference. Not enough of that is done by new breweres in my opinion. I find that it takes 3-5 attempts to truly dial a recipe in.

GT

Yes I think I'm going to stick to that philosophy.. I didn't think that changing to DME would change as much as it did..
I put it all in BeerSmith (though I don't know what I'm doing with it yet either) and it showed changes in both the bitterness ratio and ABV that were quite large just going to DME..
I guess ending up with 4 or 5 batches to choose from just might be a good thing.. :tank:

Thanks

One question about BeerSmith and ProMash (demo-ing both).
BS Shows the Dry Stout (Irish) as 16A and Promash shows the Dry Stout as 13A..?
In Promash a 16A is Witbier..

Latest posts

Back