From the Honor Roll to the Toilet Bowl-Carbonation Probs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twabe

Reaction score
Chipes!

Anybody ever have problems with 50% of your AG bottles carbonating, even after waiting a 3 week period after bottling?.

I use 1/4 cup DME/Gallon to prime, 7 gallons/batch, and haven't had a problem with my first 7 AG batches. I think I stirred it well.

I'm wondering if my recent flat beer is related to using my new auto-siphon, which works great, (see sliced bread in your encyclopedia) but the siphoning seems to airate the beer. My ouput tube is slightly larger than the siphon tube, and this seemed to make more foam at bottling than usual, and because of the foam I ended up with less headspace on some of the bottles, and maybe this contributed to the flat beer.

I'm also wondering if it could be part of the bottling process (old bottles e.g.).

Yes, I'm drinking it anyways!.

Help!!

Twabe

If you mixed it up enough I think you used enough DME... Maybe you don't have enough yeast in there??

Only part of the bottling process that I could think of that could lead to that would be improper sanitization... Or not getting the caps on well enough.. The age of the bottles doesn't matter.

I haven't bottled any of my AG beers because I started Kegging and never looked back! This way I get uniform carbonation guaranteed and I can bottle any time I want.. :)

It probably isn't sanitation, as I now inspect all bottles before double sanitizing (a good practice, as you run into an occasional jelly fish).

I like your capping theory, as my shoulder has been sore lately, and maybe I'm not putting enough oomph into it.

Thanks for the advice.

-t-

Back