Label help please, this is overwhelming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So to start I'm not real tech savvy and don't have a great printer at home. What I'm looking for, well I made a RIS in honor of my black lab that had to be put down a week ago, so I want to put a nice label on her beers. Id like to have the capability to design the label if possible and also upload her pic as the center piece. I also plan on reusing the bottles for this beer specifically but I'd like to change the date and the pic every year so I'll need labels that come off fairly easy. Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to do the same for the RIS I make on my sons bday.

For printing, find an office supply store, copy center, UPS store, etc. that provides color laser printer service. You can fit 6 or 8 labels on a page depending on size of the label. They have hard finish paper, that along with the fused toner of the laser printer, hold up well to getting wet. For label adhesive, use the recipe in this thread. Warm it in a double boiler, brush it on with a small paint brush. Labels come off easily with just hot water (melts the gelatin.)

Brew on :mug:

For printing, find an office supply store, copy center, UPS store, etc. that provides color laser printer service. You can fit 6 or 8 labels on a page depending on size of the label. They have hard finish paper, that along with the fused toner of the laser printer, hold up well to getting wet. For label adhesive, use the recipe in this thread. Warm it in a double boiler, brush it on with a small paint brush. Labels come off easily with just hot water (melts the gelatin.)

Thank you do you have advice on how to make the label or should I just take my idea to the printing store you mentioned. I have a ups and fed ex near by but where can I find blank label palate so I can are the label.

Inkscape is a very capable, free program for doing graphics. If you want to do some photo editing, GIMP is a good, free program for that. There are, of course, many other options, but those are the tools I use.

Sorry to hear about your pup. I know you may feel compelled to do everything yourself, but you might want to check out The "We'll fix your label" thread You might be able to give one of them a pic and describe what you might like as a label. Seems they turn out some fine labels there. I occasionally like to design and print some labels, but it is a royal PITA, and often time consuming. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your pup. I know you may feel compelled to do everything yourself, but you might want to check out The "We'll fix your label" thread You might be able to give one of them a pic and describe what you might like as a label. Seems they turn out some fine labels there. I occasionally like to design and print some labels, but it is a royal PITA, and often time consuming. Just a thought.

Thank you for the thoughts.

I use beerlabelizer.com and print my own. You can take any picture you want and put it on one of their stock labels, print at home and you're done.

Gimp and Inkscape look like great free programs but I don't have the full 24 hours it would take playing around with these things to figure them out. I know the computerati out there will claim these programs are "user friendly" and "quite easy to use" - for them, not me!

Condolences on losing a close friend.

I use beerlabelizer.com and print my own. You can take any picture you want and put it on one of their stock labels, print at home and you're done.

Gimp and Inkscape look like great free programs but I don't have the full 24 hours it would take playing around with these things to figure them out. I know the computerati out there will claim these programs are "user friendly" and "quite easy to use" - for them, not me!

Condolences on losing a close friend.

I wouldn't say either is easy to use. They both have significant learning curves, as does any really powerful, flexible software.

Beerlabelizer is a good suggestion.

Sorry if i'm too late to this thread. Really sorry for your loss, we have a 12 year old brown lab at home that runs the show. Anyway I manage a site called www.BeerClings.com. We may have a good solution for you. We have an easy to use design studio. I threw together a label quick using one of our templates as show below. I just put a generic dog in the middle but you can upload a picture of your own dog there instead. You can change and add text and move it around. Our labels are reusable since they print on a static cling which sounds like it meets what you are looking for. Also you can save the design if you want and come back and change it and then order more later on. Take a look and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

screenshot3.png

You can use just about any free website, or basic software to create a label to print. I use Vizio (not one of the free ones) through work, and just print wallet sized photos on a sheet of paper (9 per sheet) and cut them out using a blade and straight edge. My one recommendation if you do print them at home, try and keep them either square or rectangle. Other shapes are cool, but can take a lot of time to cut out, at least in my experience. There are 2 of the ones I made.

Block Party Amber Ale Label.jpg

OB Cream Ale Label.jpg

Back