Grain substitutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
I'd like to brew belgian style AG beers, but we have a very limited range of foreign grain available in the country. We don't have, Special B, Buscuit malt or Melanoidin malt

However we do have:
Australian Pale Malt
Weyermann Pilsner
UK Pale Ale Malt
UK Marris Otter Pale
GER. Vienna Malt
GER Munich Malt
UK Cara Malt
UK Crystal Malt
UK Chocolate Malt
UK Roast Barley
UK Dark Crystal
UK Amber
UK Pale Chocolate Malt
Uk Golden Promise
Carapils
Australian Wheat

Can anyone suggest how I could get substitute the belgian style malts with ones in the list and still make a reasonable belgian abbey style ale?
I've heard I can use munich malt in a decotion mash to up the melanoidin levels to make it similar to melanoidin malt, but will have to investigate further. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks

How dark is the UK Crystal? If it is over 100, it might work somewhat for the Special B. I use Special B in recipes that many people use Crystal 120, but sometimes the reverse substitution is not a good one.

Same goes for Biscuit malt and Amber malt. Biscuit is a good substitute for Amber, but I am not sure about the other way around.

No clue on the Melanoidin malt.

The dark crystal was 120 I believe. The grain distributor does not release the lovibond information so the retail stores just give a good estimate.

I've bought some caramel malt, UK cara malt and some standard carapils to substitute for aromatic malt, special b and biscuit malt.

Considering I've changed the recipe quite a bit I'm considering throwing my spare 250g of crystal (60l approx) in there too.
I also have 250g of amber. hmmmmm

And as far as Biscuit Malt goes, you might want to toast some base malt (maybe 0.5 pound) in the oven. Spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in for 15 min at 350f. Roll it all around and put in for another 15 min. The grain will bo from a pale color to a nice gold. Times may vary and you don't want it too dark.

Brewsmith said:
And as far as Biscuit Malt goes, you might want to toast some base malt (maybe 0.5 pound) in the oven. Spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in for 15 min at 350f. Roll it all around and put in for another 15 min. The grain will bo from a pale color to a nice gold. Times may vary and you don't want it too dark.

Cheers that sounds like a plan.

Has anyone actually experimented with adding actual biscuits to beer?
mmm oreo beer sounds good.

Back