Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neovox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What type or brand thermometer do folks prefer to use when measuring mash temperature in a cooler MLT?

I have a long probe dial thermometer from the LHBS, a small dial thermometer from a restaurant supply, and a Polder digital thermometer. The digital thermometer is great in the sense that it is quick and easy to read, but I've found it takes longer to register an accurate temperature, and tends to be "jittery", jumping around to odd temps at times. On the other hand, either probe thermometer seems to be about 3-5 degrees off from the other. They seem more accurate, but they're a little more of a pain to read from inside the MLT.

I've had good luck with the traceable thermo from professional equipment. It has the probe on about an 8' wire lead, so I just insert the probe, and close the lid, with the display outside. They're a little spendy, and some on this board have had bad luck with them, but mine's been working great for a couple of years now.

Thermos have frustrated me greatly over the years. I have come to the decision that digital must go (since most cannot be calibrated, and always showed something different than my analogs). Now I have one lab-grade glass thermometer (pretty cheap) that I use to check all critical temps. I used to use a few to get a more "accurate" idea, but all I got was stress! Get one accurate analog, and RDWAHAHB!

I got the Thermapen from King Arthur Flour a while back when they were having a sale on it and it has been a fantastic addition to my brewing equipment. It is dead-on accurate so I always know the exact temp of my wort or starter. Pricey but the last thermometer you will ever need. I also use it to check my temps when I am cooking on my smoker. Montanaandy

+1 for Thermapen. I got it for brewing, and found that it's also ideal for baking and any other thing I've used it for. It is not cheap, but quality isn't.

Thermos have frustrated me greatly over the years. I have come to the decision that digital must go (since most cannot be calibrated, and always showed something different than my analogs). Now I have one lab-grade glass thermometer (pretty cheap) that I use to check all critical temps. I used to use a few to get a more "accurate" idea, but all I got was stress! Get one accurate analog, and RDWAHAHB!

+1 on glass lab thermos. They are dead on and cheap - just use with care.

I have several thermometers including Thermopen. I use it to check my others and this one is always dead on with the Thermo pen. I can set it in the mash and the HLT (I have 2) and keep one on each hip. Go about my business and keep track of my temps wirelesly.

grill-right-wireless-talking-digital-bbq-thermometer.jpg

Back