Effect of adding sugars to secondary to final grav.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
I'm thinking of mixing in some maple syrup into a brown ale during as I rack to a secondary. I am wondering if it will effect the alcohol content calculations.

I'm guessing so, but not sure if it will be noticeable (I plan to add at least a quart of maple syrup). If it turns out that it would be a noticeable increase, can I adjust for in my calculations somehow?

Since it sounds like the basic difference would be just 'how much specific gravity does the new sugar -add- to the wort', I'm wondering if I just got an intermediate reading (for instance before I rack), then maybe add the maple syrup and mix well and get another reading before I seal the secondary fermenter, if that would basically give me a difference I could add to the original gravity that I could then use in my calculations from original to final gravity.

That should work.

Sorry! But out of curiosity.....

You guys who are so concerned about accurate ABV....OH hell! I will post a poll!

Back