Water jug secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I made the mistake of making my second batch with only 19 liters of water rather than the usual 23 liters. I want to secondary, but I only have one Carboy. Can I use a 18.5 liter water jug for a secondary? It's one of those big plastic ones that you buy spring water in.

I've always heard you only want to use PET jugs (like better bottles) but I'm interested in hearing the reasoning exactly.

I have used one as a secondary, but it's hard to clean out afterward. I can't say whether or not it adversely affected the beer since it was many years ago pre-HBT when my beer was mediocre to begin with.

Any way you can do a quick local appeal to borrow a carboy if you really feel you must secondary your batch? I'm in a small town and I've used that approach before.

B

Why not just buy a food grade bucket? Or if you have Sams Club in your area they sell PET1 water bottles filled with RO water for less than 5 USD.

Around here Home Hardware sells brewing equipment so you might give them a try, too.

B

I don't want to buy another bucket. I could buy another Carboy if I was spending money, but I'm gonna try e water jug anyway just to put an answer to the question.

While not as ideal as glass, PET, or HDPE plastic, it is likely polycarbonate, use it if you like. Some IMO "fear mongers" will spew forth about BPA being in polycarbonate and the potential, yet really unproven health hazards. To this I ask, "why are baby bottles made out of polycarbonate, and used the world over?"

I don't want to buy another bucket. I could buy another Carboy if I was spending money, but I'm gonna try e water jug anyway just to put an answer to the question.

You cant answer the question by brewing in one. It will hold liquid, the yeast will ferment and you will end up with beer. The issue is the leaching of potentially toxic/carcinogenic by-products in your beer. All plastic water bottles leach to some degree into the water, even PET-1. You also should note the bottle you are planning on using is made for water and hasn't been tested with beer which is acidic and contains a solvent (EtOH). In addition most PET bottles are intended to be safe for single use. With age they undergo thermal and oxidative degradation.

Having said that, it is probably safe to use as long as it is PET 1 and probably wont impart a detectable off flavor. On the other hand glass definitely is and wont.

brewit2it said:
You cant answer the question by brewing in one. It will hold liquid, the yeast will ferment and you will end up with beer. The issue is the leaching of potentially toxic/carcinogenic by-products in your beer. All plastic water bottles leach to some degree into the water, even PET-1. You also should note the bottle you are planning on using is made for water and hasn't been tested with beer which is acidic and contains a solvent (EtOH). In addition most PET bottles are intended to be safe for single use. With age they undergo thermal and oxidative degradation.

Having said that, it is probably safe to use as long as it is PET 1 and probably wont impart a detectable off flavor. On the other hand glass definitely is and wont.

These bottles aren't meant for single use. I bought the bottle for $20 and got a free fill-up. When I need more water I turn my empty jug in for a full one for ~5 bucks. They sterilize and refill my jug and sell it again.

These bottles aren't meant for single use. I bought the bottle for $20 and got a free fill-up. When I need more water I turn my empty jug in for a full one for ~5 bucks. They sterilize and refill my jug and sell it again.

Not PET 1 then, most likely Polycarbonate. I wouldn't use Bleach in it.

Latest posts

Back