I hate bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled a 5-gallon batch this weekend. 47 12-oz bottles. It took about 1.5 hours. SWMBO was helping (as she always does), and we drink beer and talk about how good the new beer is going to be.

I know there are ways I could shorten the time it takes, but I'm comfortable with my process and really don't mind it that much.

I find bottling a PITA. Especially as my two assistant brewers (age 4 & 6) kinda slow things down. Just moved into kegging and love it. A free freezer on Craigs list, a used Johnson controler and just using picnic taps makes it pretty cheap.

I'm still keeping my bottles though. I see myself as having two cornies on the go with "Draught Beer". One a British type Ale and the other a Lager or a Kolsch or a Haus Ale. Then I'll have "Specials" in bottles. You know like a Porter or a big IIPA, something you don't want to drink all 5 gallons in one go. Well not that I mean one sitting but...oh you know what I mean. :tank:

I've got a question though. I make 23 litre batches so in theory I'll have a couple of extra litres. When I have the time/patience I'll keg condition so I can just use a bottling bucket with the full amount of Corn Sugar but when I don't how much corn sugar do I put in an individual bottle. I realize it depends on style and bottle size but in general for a 355 ml bottle? (I've never seen Cooper's tablets up here.)

Thanks

Rudeboy

Back