Trub separation for Largering.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I have recently read in Noonans largering book that you should cold crash for 24 hours after cooling the wort and then rack the wort off the hot and cold break into the fermenter before pitching the yeast.

Necessary or unnecessary?

Seems like overkill to me. I've read Noonan's book and I don't remember that part, but it sounds interesting. I wonder if we can talk Brulosopher into doing an exBeeriment on the subject?

I'd say unnecessary. I like to put it in the fermentation chamber to get it down to 50F before I pitch the yeast though. Not worried about the hot and cold break going into the fermenter at all.

Sounds like the Narziss method. Probably an outdated concept since no one does it and still produce great lagers.

Thanks for the input. When I do a larger next I will add the trub.

I've read that German brewers remove at least 60% of trub before pitching. Personally I remove some trub by whirlpooling and letting the wort sit for an hour after chilling before racking to fermenter. I repitch the slurry up to 12 times so I just don't like to just dump all the trub in there in order to keep the yeast cake relatively clean.

Back