Can I use one vile of yeast + starter for a 10g batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I am going to do a 10 gallon batch and was wondering if I can just use one vial of yeast and make a starter? Also, how much starter will I need?

The Mr.malty calculator says for an 11 gallon ale (OG 1.048) with yeast that is one month from production you need 2 vials and a 4.5 liter starter. Does that seem excessive to anyone?

You don't need two vials if you step up your starter. I only do 10 gallon batches and I've never used more than one package of yeast. Just start three or four days before you want to brew. One cup of DME to four cups of water. When that is just about finished, add another cup of DME to four cups water. I tend to brew low ABV ales so I usually stop at the one addition of DME. Just make sure you have a fair bit of yeast on the bottom of your container and pitch at high krausen if you can.

The Mr.malty calculator says for an 11 gallon ale (OG 1.048) with yeast that is one month from production you need 2 vials and a 4.5 liter starter. Does that seem excessive to anyone?

not excessive, but not necessary, either. there are so many factors in this after you pitch the starter...temperature, shock, oxygen content, yeast production. i often pitch vials into big batches and they do just fine...they often just take a much longer time and the yeast may try to crap out on you so you have to keep them working.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right about version 4.02. If you're near the expiration date for liquid yeast... who's going to have 10-20 vials or smack-packs of yeast for the starter?:rolleyes:

Ok cool, I have some LME left over from my Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA that I can use. I will just start it a few days before hand. Thanks for all the replies!

ok, did a little searching and found this thread, it is similar to my situation. KINDA. I am brewing a surly furious clone this weekend, which has a projected og of about 1.068. I cheaped out and bought a wyeast propagator pack British ale II 1335. I planned on making a starter but am now confused as to how much to make and how to go about it. I was thinking of making a 2 liter starter dumping in Propagator, not an activator mind you, throw it on the stir plate for a few days, refrigerate, decant the morning of brew day, and pitch. Sound ok?

The only problem I see is that mr malty says I need two pack of wyeast to make a one liter starter for this beer.

Also, do I need to step this starter up, or just dump it on 2 liters and let it go?

Thanks

I usually make a 2000 ml started based on mrmalty.com for all of my 10 gallon batches with one vial of yeast. Never had a problem.

are you guys fermenting all 10 gallons together or do you split your wort (and yeast) into two carboys/buckets? If splitting is there any scientific method to splitting the yeast up or do you just 'eyeball it'?

are you guys fermenting all 10 gallons together or do you split your wort (and yeast) into two carboys/buckets? If splitting is there any scientific method to splitting the yeast up or do you just 'eyeball it'?

I split it. When I use 1 vial for 2 starters, I use a graduated cylinder to measure it for each starter.

Without a graduated cylinder, I guess (if using White Labs yeast) you could take an empty vial and compare it to a new vial to mark it at the full line. Then, using water and the empty vial, figure out the half way line and mark it. Then mark it at the same spot on the full vial and pour half in each starter.

I wouldn't feel comfortable eyeballing it. I've seen a significant difference in lag times in seemingly slight differences in yeast pitch rate and proximity to the expiration date (2 separate vials per 10 gallon split batch).

Back