Pressure Regulator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I have the dual regulator setup from MW Supplies. My question is Im trying to force card for 24 hours at 40psi and then another 24 hrs at 20 psi. My problem is that I cannot get the pressure regulator to go up to 40psi. I hooked up everything turn on the gas and shake and the regulator starts to rise. I turn the adjustment knob to increase the pressure but it gets to a point where it is tight and will not turn anymore to raise the pressure. Can someone give me a dummy guide to using a pressure regulator? Below is the regulator I have but it does not have the screws for the adjustment is has knobs.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4884

There's a good chance your regulator just won't hit 40. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly with one exception: shaking the keg or the CO2 bottle won't really affect the regulator much, only turning the adjustment knob will change the regulator output pressure.

40 psi is a bit excessive, anyway. 30 psi over the course of 24-36 hours on a chilled keg is plenty. If you want to drink your beer sooner, hit the chilled keg with 30 psi and shake the heck out of it for a few minutes. For best results, simply leave the chilled keg at 10-12 psi for a week.

Thanks yuri! The other question is that will the regulator only react to the turning of the knob if their is room in the keg to put CO2? By that I mean iF i were to vent all of the CO2 on top and then turn the knob to the right it should output pressure right? Because I did that and the only way I could get the gauge to move was to shake the keg.

Regulators can be somewhat finicky, especially when dialing from high to low pressure (i.e., setting 10 psi after having 30 psi set). I find that the most accurate way to set mine is to dial the set-knob way back (near zero), bleed most of the pressure off any keg connected to the regulator, then slowly crank the pressure up. It's easy to overshoot if you go too fast. Also, if your tank and regulator are inside the kegerator, it's even tougher to get it set correctly.

Thanks a ton yuri, you definitely helped me out. And yeah the cylinder is in the fridge I need to get thinner hose to run through drip hole in the back.

You probably know this, but you sound new so I am going to throw it out....On the regulator there is a "stop nut" to screw down once you get the regulator set where you want it, its a small round nut behind the knob...If you didnt know it was there it could stop you from turning the knob as far in as you want to...Let me know if this helps...

And if you know what you're doing, you could even remove that nut if you can't get the screw turned in far enough for your liking. However, I wouldn't be messing with pressures over 40psi anyway.

Be careful if you do that. I have a couple of regulators that will bury my 0-60 gauge in a very sharp move from about 40 psi when I bottom out on the adjustment screw.

No I didn't no about that screw int he back, Ill have to check it out once I get home from work. Thanks again gents! I wish the regulator setup came with some kind of manual haha.

Back