Texan wannabe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
howdy howdy howdy! name's dave, but everyone who meets me online ends up calling me BiC even after we've met in real life.

i want to get into home brewing because i've sampled (extensively) just about everything the local liquor stores have to offer. i know what i'm looking for in a beer, and i want to make one of my own.

problem is, i'm renting a room at a friend's house. i BELIEVE i have enough room in my space for a beginner's brewing kit, but he's worried about it "stinking up the house."

will it?

i've looked around online, and searched this forum to see if this question was already asked, but i didn't see it if it was. if it HAS been asked and answered already, i apologize and would someone point me at it?

and if it matters, i'm gonna wanna brew porters, stouts, bocks, dunkelweizens, etc.

thanks in advance, thanks for having me, and thanks for not ripping the br00 n00b a n00 one!

Welcome aboard. Good to see more Texans. As for the space, should be fine. The smell really depends on how much space, what ingredients you brew with and ventilation. Beer really doesn't smell up the place too bad when it ferments. I keep roughly 30 gallons fermenting in a spare room in my house and can not smell it at all until I go into that room. Even then it smells like C○2.

welcome from Arlington. As Drunkensatyr said beer does not really smell when fermenting. and it smells great when you are making it.

Welcome and good luck with your brewing.

If you offer up some to your friend, I'm betting he/she will have no issues with your brewing.

Welcome!

If you cook inside, it only stinks when you get a boilover and start burning sugar. You will smell the wort and the hops throughout the house, but I love that smell. If it makes any difference, so does my wife.

I brew outside, though, so I don't get that great smell inside, anymore. Ah, the good ol' days.

TL

Latest posts

Back