Sulfur Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
I made a starter with Pacman yeast that I harvested from a bottle of Juniper Pale Ale. I made a 12 oz starter at first, stepped it up to 36, then decanted the liquid and added 36 oz of fresh wort. I can see a little bit of yeast at the bottom of my growler (not as much as if I had pitched a smack pack).

The thing that is bothering me is that I noticed a strong sulfur smell coming out of my growler. This is not something that I enjoy. After searching through some threads I haven't seen anyone saying that Pacman yeast has high sulfur production, so I'm a mite concerned. Could this be from high temperatures? I had the growler on top of my hot water heater and it was probably around 80-85 degrees for a while.

I put yeast nutrient in the growler at every addition, and on the last step I even put a little extra because I thought that that might cure the problem. No dice.

Any suggestions? Should I throw it out? Should I use this starter in my batch that I'm brewing tomorrow or will it make the entire thing smell/taste like sulfur?

Sulfur is produced in unfavorable conditions, but I've heard that is usually during excessively cold temps. That propagation temp is a bit high, usually propagation temp is around 70F. I would keep building it up and keep the temps down and see if the sulphur continues...

Back