Brew Day - Orange Honey Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
While all you North Americans sleep in your beds, thankful that the world did not end, we in The Jing will be brewing. Today we are on brew #5 and it is an Orange Honey Wit.

The yeast starter is warming up (harvested from Chimay bottles) and we should start at 10am Beijing time.

I put this recipe up for critiquing and we modified based on some of those suggestions.

10gal batch

Grain (in pounds this time)
Pale 12.4 54%
Caramel Wheat 6.6 29%
CaraPils 1 4%
Vienna 1 4%

Hops:
Perle 1.5 60 6.0% 15.43
Spalt 1.5 30 5.8% 11.46
Spalt 1 5 5.8% 1.98

Additions:
Ground coriander
orange zest
chamomile

It is going to stay in primary for 25 days - after high krausen ends, we will add 1# of honey and the orange fruit, which will steep in vodka (and we'll add in the vodka as well) I also picked up some Korean Citron Tea (looks like marmalade) as well as 600g of orange marmalade. We will probably add the orange marmalade at the same time as the honey, and I am curious what the Korean Citron Tea will taste like - might work as well.
We'll rack from primary to kegs and then let it chill in the kegs until the 1st week of August.

We ended up hitting our OG of 1.061, so we were happy about that.
But I guess we really didn't brew a Belgian Wit...
Someone suggested that we had way too much carawheat in our recipe, but when I asked why, I never heard back - I now know why...I also found out yesterday that our brewmeister has white wheat, I thought he only had carawheat...he was also wondering why we wanted so much carawheat for a wit, but never said anything. Oh well, live and learn.
I do wonder what style of beer we brewed yesterday...a Orange Honey Belgian Dunkle Weizen?

The harvested Chimay yeast is getting after the wort and I am happy about that. This was our first attempt to propagate yeast from a bottle!

The harvested Chimay yeast is getting after the wort and I am happy about that. This was our first attempt to propagate yeast from a bottle!

very interested in how this turns out, especially since I've always wondered about culturing from a bottle of Chimay or La Chouffe.

:mug:

Back