Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you like to be a Phins fan right now? All I hear about are all of these free agents that visit and walk away just saying, "ehhhhh. No thanks". ESPN keeps hinting that players want to play football, not attend a Jimmy Buffett concert so they are all passing.

Psss. Bernie would be all over that!

... any chance you think Welker ends up getting traded? It wouldn't be out of character for BB. Not that any of these wideouts they've signed can hold Welker's jock (unless he asks nicely)... but that's a lot of emphasis on one particular position. And I know that Gonzo probably will tweak a hammy when he laces up his cleats, but still... getting a little bit of an ominous feeling?

I'm a little surprised they didn't go for broke and try to sign Mike Wallace. I still wonder... if you could trade Welker for a second-round pick (or maybe even a third), you'd then try hard to sign Wallace, wouldn't you? You'd give up a 1st rounder to get Wallace, but would get back some of that from trading Welker.

I don't think there is actually that much emphasis on the position. I think Ocho and Branch are done. Yeah they have the TEs but how many solid WRs do they have now? Welker, Lloyd... Hernandez? I will be mildly surprised if Stallworth even makes the team. Gonzales (you would assume).

It's not a ton.

I'm hearing rumblings that Tebow might possibly come to the Patriots. WTF would Belichick want him? Seems like a good guy, but go somewhere else.

Bulls Beers said:
I'm hearing rumblings that Tebow might possibly come to the Patriots. WTF would Belichick want him? Seems like a good guy, but go somewhere else.

Dump law firm and pick up Tebow on the cheap. Use him as a running back that can catch out of the backfield. He's a big kid and a good football player. BB likes guys like that. I don't think they would even consider him as a QB. Who else would want him as QB?

Dump law firm and pick up Tebow on the cheap. Use him as a running back that can catch out of the backfield. He's a big kid and a good football player. BB likes guys like that. I don't think they would even consider him as a QB. Who else would want him as QB?

I'm not convinced his ego will let him play anything other than QB. I just don't see him as being the kind of guy who's going to willingly play at a less-glamorous position.

But he really could be a great player as an H-back, kind of in Aaron Hernandez' role. Run the ball a little, but not as a primary running back. I don't see Tebow as a full-time running back; he's great with the ball in space, but I don't see him as being a great rusher between the tackles; too upright. But in an H-back role, get him the ball on some quick slants, get him some screen passes, maybe a couple rushes, he could do really well in that role. But, it's not the kind of role that's going to keep you out in front of everyone.

EDIT: He also had the third-most fumbles of any NFL QB last year, thirteen (in basically twelve games). Pretty much anti-Law Firm.

His rushing average wasn't spectacular in the second half of the year, either; the last six regular season games, he only had a rushing average >4.1/carry once (versus NE); the first six games, he was averaging 7.1/carry. It's not exactly comparable, his rushes from the option versus rushing as a traditional RB, but teams started figuring out how to stop his running game pretty quick (only 13 yards, on five carries, against NE in the playoffs).

Dump law firm

Heresy!!!!

Why oh why would you advise dumping a productive back who has been very good at blitz pick-up and protecting his QB in general when the ball isn't in his hands and who has NEVER fumbled the ball in a four year NFL career?

This does not compute. :drunk:

The only reason that you'd let Law Firm walk is if he gets a stupid contract offer elsewhere. I wouldn't begrudge him taking whatever money he can get; running backs take such a beating, their careers are so short, and he really seems like a great guy (Kraft seems to love him like a son, and I still remember how hard the whole team was pushing for him to get 1,000 yards in 2010).

With that said, I love Law Firm but he's never going to be a *great* back. I really hope that one of the second-year backs can take the ball and prove to be both reliable and a bit more explosive, and that Law Firm sticks around as the uber-dependable backup/short-yardage guy.

Yeah, I'm with you on that, the_bird. Not flashy or a homerun hitter, but definitely dependable and a character guy - basically Troy Brown in the backfield. Another prototypical, boring New England player. ;)

And I actually got to hear Kraft speak, off the record, not 6 months ago. It honestly sounds like he sees most of those guys on the roster like family. Someone in the room got him talking about Bruschi and his comeback from the stroke and heart surgery, and you could really see the father in him come out WAY more than the football owner in his response to the situation. Helluva guy...

Don't even get me started on the brief remarks he made on his wife - not a dry eye in the room.

stratslinger said:
Heresy!!!

This does not compute. :drunk:

Didn't mean to sound like I don't love the guy. I think he can get a better contract elsewhere. Always nice seeing benny with the rock. Security like a brinks truck.

I'm not convinced his ego will let him play anything other than QB. I just don't see him as being the kind of guy who's going to willingly play at a less-glamorous position.

But he really could be a great player as an H-back, kind of in Aaron Hernandez' role. Run the ball a little, but not as a primary running back. I don't see Tebow as a full-time running back; he's great with the ball in space, but I don't see him as being a great rusher between the tackles; too upright. But in an H-back role, get him the ball on some quick slants, get him some screen passes, maybe a couple rushes, he could do really well in that role. But, it's not the kind of role that's going to keep you out in front of everyone.

EDIT: He also had the third-most fumbles of any NFL QB last year, thirteen (in basically twelve games). Pretty much anti-Law Firm.

His rushing average wasn't spectacular in the second half of the year, either; the last six regular season games, he only had a rushing average >4.1/carry once (versus NE); the first six games, he was averaging 7.1/carry. It's not exactly comparable, his rushes from the option versus rushing as a traditional RB, but teams started figuring out how to stop his running game pretty quick (only 13 yards, on five carries, against NE in the playoffs).

Doesn't his faith promote being humble?
Fumbles from QB position are significantly different from that of a runner or receiver.
YPC could change quite a bit in our offense. He was kinda a one trick pony at the Broncos. Using him sparingly in a catch and run situation gives you a lot of chances. With Lloyd going deep to keep the safeties back! Lots of room to move.
It would be an interesting experiment assuming he can't get money to play QB somewhere else.

Why do you think he grates on me so much? I know there are plenty of guys on New England who are very religious - I'm not, but I don't care. Guys like Branch aren't out there shoving it in my face all the time - saying LOOK AT ME LOOK AT HOW MUCH I LOVE JESUS! It's all about him, not "Him". Hypocrite.

And yeah, fumbles from the QB spot are different - but he has had ball-security issues. Statement of fact. Applicability to his play as a theoretical tight end/H-back/fullback is debatable, but it's not debatable that he's put the ball on the ground a lot and that has to be a concern (particularly in New England).

And, I do think Tebow could be very successful in that kind of hybrid role - but what does he bring to the team that players like Hernandez and Gronk don't do better? You aren't going to have him pass the ball, not as long as Brady is on the field.

Here's another name for the Patriots to consider.

Yeremiah Bell.

Just released by the Phins in a $$-related move. Certainly a veteran player (34), and word is that his coverage skills have eroded a little bit in recent years. But, a very good tackler (best on Miami's D for several years), and a very respected voice in their locker room. Thought of as a very smart player - sounds like he was almost playing the mike in the defensive backfield, keeping the defense all organized.

Would fill a position of still pretty-desperate need for New England, and would probably come pretty cheap. He was due a $4.3M base salary this year; you could probably get him for something like 2 years/$5M.

Draft a safety (or two), someone younger to develop, and let them grow into the role alongside Chung and Bell. He would certainly add some stability to the position.

Another one of those moves (like with Lloyd) that would make too much sense.

If the price is right the Pat's will grab Tebow. BB will find something for the guy to do. Like I said, this assumes no one else in the league wants to pay him as a QB. I wonder if Denver will cut him to get out from under his contract.

I like bell, but we need cover guys. A guy like Bell would be good if we had good cover corners. That is what killed us the past couple of years. McCourty was great in coverage two years ago, last year not so much. They have some fast young and mid career guys, but nothing close to a lockdown guy. Having to have safety help over the top on a majority of plays takes defensive options away.
Maybe the stars will align and Dowling and McCourty will be a one two punch, but I think I would be drafting a Corner pretty high.

Well, yeah, Bell's not the long-term answer - but he'd give stability.

If they bring back Benny, bring back Mark Anderson, and sign Bell - they basically would be going into the draft without any HUGE holes on the roster. They'll want another defensive back or two, they'll want to draft a wide receiver, they'll want some defensive linemen, but they'd really be able to go into the draft with a true "best player available" mentality. They're pretty damn deep at almost every spot except defensive back (particularly safety).

Stop!

onlygayguyswouldsay.png

;)

I thought the Saints would get hit hard, but a full year suspension for Sean Payton? Ouch!!!

Really leaves Brees, with that franchise tag on him, swinging in the... breeze?

(I'm sorry)

(No I'm not)

Tebow and Cromartie ought to get an apartment together and a reality show; that'd be 10000x more interesting than watching Ocho get hitched.

And why didn't Jacksonville make a bigger push?....

My pet theory? It's "Major League" all over again. The owner wants to move to LA; lot easier to do when you can claim poverty at your current location.

Holycrap, the Bills overpaid for Mark Anderson. 4 years, $27.5M? $8M guaranteed? For a part-time (ideally) pass rusher? He's good, but he's not THAT good!

Wondering if this increases the odds they bring back 'Dre Carter. They still need some help with the pass rush.

Latest posts

Back