90 degree fermentation?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoogieMan133

Reaction score
Hey, I just brewed my pale ale and everything went great on the brewing aspect. I pitched my yeast as usual and everything started great. The next time I checked on it the temperature had risen from 68 degrees all the way to the low to mid 90's. I live in San Diego so its a constant 60-72 degrees this time of year and I've NEVER had a fermentation raise anywhere nearly this much (25 degrees!?). At most my fermentations will get up to 74 at high krausen. The beer has been fermenting for 2 days and its already done (1.009). I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the outcome was. Thanks!

I had a similar instance where the fermentation temps hit about 88*. Although the beer didn't taste too bad, I got really bad headaches from the fusel alcohols.

Yikes. Are you sure your thermometer isn't wacky? It might be just fine.

If you do get the off-flavors like banana, clove, furniture polish, etc., you can dry-hop the #$%&! out of that pale ale and mask it a bit.

Back