Raspberry Extract in a Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzersc

Reaction score
I have 5 Gals of Cream Ale in my primary.

I want to bottle 1/2 and then add raspberry extract to the rest. How much extract in 2 1/2 Gals of Cream Ale. I want to be able to taste the raspberry flavor.

Thanks

RpC3

There may be a big difference in the extracts that you can add to your beer but if you got the same kind as I did, skip the raspberry extract and make much better cream ale. If you must have a raspberry flavored beer, use real raspberries for the next batch. IMHO, YMMV

+1. Raspberries impart a relatively strong flavor. For a cream ale you don't need much raspberries to impart a decent enough raspberry flavor.

generaly, I always assume they are geared for five gallon batches. Use a half-bottle (2 Oz.). Just a guess. The cool thing is if you are right or wrong, there is always the next batch. Whoop whoop!

I'll make a bet that you won't like the cream ale with the extract as well as the part without the extract. I used the blueberry extract from Brewers Best in cream ale and red ale, splitting each batch. The half batch without is much better than the part with the extract. I think you only want 1 oz in 2 1/2 gallons.

I understand your concern, but this is my first batch, and I want to try both. If it's not that great I will still drink it. I few not so great beers isn't going to stop me.

I plan on bottling next Saturday, and brewing a new batch of Hefeweizen the same day. Maybe I'll do 36 bottles then add the extract to the rest.

I have a long journey ahead of me with brewing.

I've drunk most of the bottles I did with the blueberry extract but I sure wish I had not put it in. I split 2 batches and added the extract to half of each so I have to drink nearly 50 bottles of what could have been some really good beer but isn't.

If its a 4 oz bottle add an ounce or two at the most. That extract is strong.....

You will be happier with real berries next time. Awesome part of the country you live in, one of my favorite areas to visit in the south.

Just add the extract a little at a time and taste the beer as you go until you reach a taste you like.

That's tough to do in the bottlinng bucket. The flavor tends to fade with aging. You almost have to do a few batches to get it just right.

^ I agree. Plus, it's a matter of personal preference. The first raspberry ale I did, I only put 2 oz which was just a hint of raspberry and I thought it was just right - it wasn't overpowering but my wife wanted the raspberry to be more prominent so the next batch was 4 oz.

Brew the beer, then upon opening the bottles, just add drops until you get it right, then add that amount scaled to the bottling bucket before bottling your next batch.

Back