First time cold crashing and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Ok, so the temp is just right up here in Canada - thermometer says it's just shy of 40F outside, so I put my beer on the porch, and I'm was going to leave it out there for the day, and keg it tonight.

Is 6-7h at that temperature enough to make the yeast fall out and clarify the beer nicely? I've got 3 gallon cornies, so I was going to fill one of them, and bottle the rest. After cold crashing it, will there still be enough yeast left in it to bottle condition?

Tx!

you should be fine... you might want a little more cold crashing time, but it will continue to crash in the keg, so no worries...

OFF TOPIC: chefchris, where did you find that avatar pic?? have you ever seen the myster science theater 3000 episode with the movie 'Ee-gah'? that guy is totally in it.

I'll wait as long as I can...it just started snowing here, so the temp will stay above freezing as long as the snow continues, but it will drop lower later on.

I'm afraid of freezing the batch. I have plans for an Eisbock this winter, but this isn't it!

Well, the temp tends to hover right around freezing when snowing, and drop after it stops.

I'm not happy with the way things have gone. Brought it in to keg, and it was VERY cloudy. I didn't have a good look when I brought it out, and I really should have.

Too many firsts this batch, so I really don't know what went wrong. New kit, Brewer's Spring, it's a concentrate instead of an extract. I decided to forgo the secondary, after reading around here that it's not really needed - so I left it in the primary for 2.5 wks. In the past I've xfered after a week and a half in the primary, and left it a week in the secondary to clear. Third is that I tried the cold crashing.

Anyways, I felt like I was past the point of no return, so I put it in the keg anyways, then put the keg outside! Hopefully, it will clarify a bit more.

If you let it cool in the keg for a while, then pour off a couple pints from your faucet, that will remove a lot of the sediment from the bottom of the keg also.

What was your recipe?
Did you have a good rolling boil?
Have you tried Whirlfloc?

Eric

The Brewers Spring are a concentrate, not an extract. Like wine kits, you get a bag of 'juice', add water, and pitch. No boil.

Like I said, first time trying. I'm interested to see how they turn out...so far, not impressed, but like I said, I can't be sure what the problem is.

At this point, I'm debating dumping it from the keg back into a carboy, rack it and see what happens. I just pulled another one, and it's still really cloudy. On the upside, it carbonated nicely, so I got the force carbonation thing about right :)

It takes me a week MINIMUM to clarify in the keg. It will clarify just fine in your fridge remember....also, whirlfloc helps.

If you want to speed it up, use gelatin in the keg. Put 1 packet knox unflavoured gelatin, (see how I put in the extra "u", just for you?), into 150 mL cool water. Let sit for 20 minutes, then heat to just under simmering, (180F, 81C), hold it there for a few minutes, (I just shut off the heat and wait), then dump it into your keg, (no real need to cool it...your beer is cold and it will not really affect the temp)....24 hours later your beer will be crystal clear.

you should be fine... you might want a little more cold crashing time, but it will continue to crash in the keg, so no worries...

OFF TOPIC: chefchris, where did you find that avatar pic?? have you ever seen the myster science theater 3000 episode with the movie 'Ee-gah'? that guy is totally in it.

Watch out for snakes!

I made that pic. I'm gonna get it printed on a shirt. I'm a huge MST fan. Just got a rather large tattoo of Tom Servo on my arm.

Well, things are interesting this morning. I have a headache :drunk:
Too much fun with the new draught system, even if the beer was cloudy. It's bad when the kids are excited about pulling you another one!

As I said, I hauled the beer inside so it wouldn't freeze overnight, with the intention of tossing it all back in a carboy and racking it for a week to clarify. When I brought it in, I pulled another beer, and it was like milk.

This morning, I have a look at it, and it's nice and clear! :confused:
Nice light amber colour (there's that 'u' again. Thanks for noticing shortyJ)

Oh well, I'm not one to complain. I'm just annoyed I de-pressurized the corny last night.

Latest posts

Back