PID help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiverp

Reaction score
I am new to your forum and though I drink a beer or two I do not brew. I do smoke a lot of meats. I need help with a PID I'm trying to attach to my smoker. I've tried by the manual and looking around the inet. What I am trying to do is when the temp drops on the smoker I want the fan to come on and stoke the fire until the temp returns. The fan will come on but it will not cut off. I have changed settings and still nothing. I'm guessing at this point I have the programming a little screwed up. It is a MYPIN TA6 with SSR and K type probe, here is a link I found on here for the wiring and it matches what came with mine. http://www.agptek.com/software/PC5-2012-latest-manual.pdf
The fan I'm using is 120vac. Any help would be appreciated as I am stumped.

How many amps is your fan pulling? Looks like your pid will handle up to 3 amps on the main output, if the fan is lower than that, why not eliminate the ssr? If your fan is wired through the ssr, I don't understand why the ssr is not shutting the fan off????

first check that you dont have the polarity of the SSR signal wires reversed. they are directional.

How many amps is your fan pulling? Looks like your pid will handle up to 3 amps on the main output, if the fan is lower than that, why not eliminate the ssr? If your fan is wired through the ssr, I don't understand why the ssr is not shutting the fan off????

SSR's are solid state devices. When they fail, they usually fail closed allowing current to flow through them.

The PID is showing constant output to the SSR. I don't think the components are the problem. I don't know what I'm doing and I think it's programming. That's where I need some education. It didn't look that hard at first. Years ago I had a good grasp on electronics but this has surpassed me. It didn't seem like it would be so hard to ask it to come on below 170F and cut off before 200F. The fan is 220ma at 20w max. Thanks for the input. I'm in listening and learning mode.

The PID is showing constant output to the SSR. I don't think the components are the problem. I don't know what I'm doing and I think it's programming. That's where I need some education. It didn't look that hard at first. Years ago I had a good grasp on electronics but this has surpassed me. It didn't seem like it would be so hard to ask it to come on below 170F and cut off before 200F. The fan is 220ma at 20w max. Thanks for the input. I'm in listening and learning mode.

I've reviewed the setup PDF and if you could show me the settings already programmed into the PID, I'll do my level best to help you out. I would think that so long as your SV is higher than your PV, and it's configured for heat (OUD=HEAT), and you've got the correct probe (INP=K) then it's going to be calling for heat.

One thing you can try is to set the SV to something less than room temp, like 68*f. Since it is warmer in the room, the PID should turn off i.e. the OUT light will be off. Or something like that.

I've reviewed the setup PDF and if you could show me the settings already programmed into the PID, I'll do my level best to help you out. I would think that so long as your SV is higher than your PV, and it's configured for heat (OUD=HEAT), and you've got the correct probe (INP=K) then it's going to be calling for heat.

One thing you can try is to set the SV to something less than room temp, like 68*f. Since it is warmer in the room, the PID should turn off i.e. the OUT light will be off. Or something like that.

Here is the programming and wiring

ALM 1 500
ABSOLUTE HIGH (2)

ALM 2 160
ABSOLUTE LOW (3)

PVF 5

INP K

P 30
I 240
D 60

HYS 1

CEL 001 (SSR)

TRL 0

TRH 100

BSL TSL (PID)

C/F F

LCK 000
___________________WIRING
AC 1

+ 6 SSR

+ 11 TC

stiverp...what model/type of SSR are you using and what would be the control side voltage requirements of it? If it has a 4-20mA requirement, by the looks of the PDF the SSR should be wired to terminals 6 & 8 which is NO (normally open). Please correct me if i'm wrong..!

Also, you indicated that your TC is connected to terminals +11/-12. From what the PDF indicates in the diagram for models TA6/8, it looks like the TC K type probe, should be connected to terminals -9/+10.

I may be mistaken with these points, but I think you should recheck and or try out the suggestions above. Hope this might help you.

Good luck and I hope you get it working.

Wottaguy, I have to agree with you. It certainly looks like it's not wired right.

Stiverp - I didn't see the setting for parameter oUd. I suppose it's HEAT? Also, did you run the autotuning of the PID?

stiverp...what model/type of SSR are you using and what would be the control side voltage requirements of it? If it has a 4-20mA requirement, by the looks of the PDF the SSR should be wired to terminals 6 & 8 which is NO (normally open). Please correct me if i'm wrong..!

Also, you indicated that your TC is connected to terminals +11/-12. From what the PDF indicates in the diagram for models TA6/8, it looks like the TC K type probe, should be connected to terminals -9/+10.

I may be mistaken with these points, but I think you should recheck and or try out the suggestions above. Hope this might help you.

Good luck and I hope you get it working.

Your right on the TC, I wrote it down wrong it is connected to 9/10. 11/12 is constant 14 vdc. I will check the SSR tonight. It would make sense that it runs all the time if connected to NC instead of NO. Thanks for the help. Will report back.

It looks as if I some how killed the output circuit. I can't get it to close the circuit. I've tried heat and cool programming. Gave up on that one and going to order another one and start over. Hopefully with the instructions everyone here gave me.

Back