Need your ideas....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
I'm planning on using some local fruit in a beer. The fruit is very tart when not ripe, and even when ripe it is slightly tart. Anyone have any ideas what type of beer would blend well with that style of fruit?

Tart is good in fruit for beer, in my opinion! That's the fruit flavor that comes through. Plus, I think its cool that you're planning on using some local fruit - very nice!

All that being said, I've never used plums in a fruit beer. I'm sure you'll want to pit them (the pits would lend bitterness, I think). Two ideas that I would probably gravitate to would be either a simple pale ale or a not too spicy/tart american wheat. Rack them onto the pitted plums and let the yeasties work.

Thanks man, great advice. I was thinking of maybe an American wheat. But an American pale ale also sounds good. What about hop additions? I'm thinking light bitterness with light flavorng hops, and letting the aroma come from the sand plums.

Very good point. I dunno, I kind of think that a tart dry finish on a summertime beer would be pretty welcome.

Back