The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still haven't watched Matt's last episode...........just can't bring myself to do it but dammit the new one I'd almost here!!!!

I just watched it a couple days ago. I liked Matt but I still liked Tennant better.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just watched it a couple days ago. I liked Matt but I still liked Tennant better.

You and my wife both the same. It's wierd I'm excited for a different type of Doctor but just not ready to let go of the bowtie and Fez.

karen-gillan-guardians-villain-teaser-poster.jpg

Just watched Guardians. One of the best movies I've ever seen, truly.

And Karen... to quote Mr. Takei: "Ohhh myyyyy!" Her character may have been cybernetic, but dat ass was ALL Pond.

BTW stab in the dark as to what they do if Coleman is leaving midseason is she can't cope with the new doctor. But I don't think she's living mid-season, but who knows. Amy did and that was a big one.

But they're not saying mid-season - they're saying Christmas special, and this season is supposed to air uninterrupted. So, presumably the Christmas special will actually follow after the season - leaving us another several months to wonder about the new companion this time, rather than the new doctor. I wonder if that's part of the thought process behind it all...

Yeah. Only Rose really switched between 2 Doctors seamlessly.

I miss Billie. She was... fantastic.

And lets not forget S.J.S.

Sarah_Jane_Smith.jpg

My first nerdcrush. SWMBO and I have been watching the Tom Baker series, and SJS had one of the finest butts on TV back in the day... And still wasn't too shabby in the later episodes.

I grew up watching Tom Baker as the Doctor. Would love it if Netflix expanded their selection of old episodes they offer under Classic Doctor Who.

HuluPlus has ALL of them, including the "lost episodes".

But they're not saying mid-season - they're saying Christmas special, and this season is supposed to air uninterrupted. So, presumably the Christmas special will actually follow after the season - leaving us another several months to wonder about the new companion this time, rather than the new doctor. I wonder if that's part of the thought process behind it all...

Fair point about the season timing. I don't think people will care that much about the next companion though.

But if that is what they're going through start pouring through for a female who had a bit part as Martha Jones, Amy, and Clara were all in episodes before. Though one may argue Jenna Coleman was brought on early intentionally.

Did I just read that the new season is only 4 days away???

Moving my Kid to Michigan State University on Saturday. Must plan around this episode...

That's what a DVR is for - just watch out for spoilers!

Ah, I see you don't understand.

Dr. Who for our family is an EVENT. (TBH I could have no problem taping it and watching it later, spoilers are not hard for me to avoid)

The FAMILY will want to schedule the move so that we could all watch it together if possible. I just need to send an email out to the girls to get the ball rolling.

And reserve the Uhaul trailer now that I am thinking about it...

Understood... SWMBO doesn't get Who, so I'm left to watch it on my own. Sometimes live, sometimes very shortly after on the DVR.

Well, BBC American is airing it at 8:15 on Saturday, so we will set up the DVR and try to get back home after moving Kim to her new apartment. If we dont' make it, at least it's there waiting.

I grew up watching Tom Baker as the Doctor. Would love it if Netflix expanded their selection of old episodes they offer under Classic Doctor Who.

I check them out from the library. I've managed to cross 45 of the original 155 off my list that way. Right now I can only seem to find McCoy ones that I haven't seen before... And most of them have my least favorite companion, Ace.

Every time she's on screen, I remember the immortal words of David Lister (Red Dwarf), "Your nickname was never 'Ace.' Maybe 'Ace-hole'."

It looks like the season pass for Season 8 on iTunes is $40 for those of us without cable.

Edit: Or, rumor has it, it might be available on Hulu after airing. But Season 7 was available on Netflix before it was on Hulu.

I enjoyed the first episode. In some ways Capaldi reminded me more of Eccleston than the previous. He for sure draws more from older Doctors than say Tenant did.

Anyway, fast bringing up Daleks is classics. And I still say Jenny, Meooww

Spoilers!! :mad:

Just kidding. I'll see it when it hits Netflix.

The one part I'm bugged by is that the Impossible Girl, who has come to the realization that she has been helping the Doctor out all along, struggles with his regeneration. Was a little too forced to help the younger fans accept Capaldi who is going to be great in this role.

On the plus side, #SkinBalloon is trending.

The flaming dinosaur stole the show. I mean, T-Rex on FIRE! Jurassic Park didn't even have that. They had so much time to make this episode, I was really hoping Capaldi would make the character his own in a memorable way. But the dinosaur was seemed to have more of a lasting impression for me. It's not to say he played his part poorly, but that he wasn't as well introduced in his first full episode as I had hoped he might be. I'm sure things will pick up as the season progresses, and I enjoyed finally having a new episode to watch. Looking forward to what the new Doctor has in store.

Meh. I was not roused.

It was just an ok episode. I think Capaldi will be fine, but I wish he were just a straight up old fashions doctor. He seemed a bit too manic in this episode.

And I agree with the forcing of Clara's emotions towards the Doctor. It was almost as if the writers had sat in front of the camera and said, "Look guys, the Doctor is not old again. Get used to it. He's not going to be the young, fun, crazy guy you're used to. He will still be cool, but just give him a chance, mkay?"

I'm ok with him being old and cranky. Other Doctors have been. They've gotten by with their smarts and resourcefulness.

I'm not sure the Doctor advocating the robot's suicide is much different than outright murder. The Doctor usually reserves death for extreme cases, preferring to recommend a change in ways. Not sure about the final scene with Paradise. I wonder if it comes up again later, or just a strange closure scene for that episode.

Back