Couple ?'s for my 1st original recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhoffer-Knopfe

Reaction score
I tried my first original recipe to enter a local homebrew competition and I forgot to throw in the Irish moss. Will it make a huge difference? If I use geletin in the secondary should I pitch new yeast to bottle condition and what kind?

New Kettle American Pale Ale:

11# 2-Row Pale ale malt
1# Crystal 20
1/2# Cara pils
1/4# Honey malt
1/4# Light wheat

1/2 oz Cascade
1/2 oz Centenial
Each in the mash, 45 min, 15 min and 1 min

1/2 oz Amarillo
1/2 oz Simcoe
Dry-hopped w/1oz light oak chips

Wyeast American Ale II smack pack
90 min boil
5 gal batch
OG 1.062
mash 155 deg.

Critiques of my recipe welcome.

Wow...33 views and not one reply...I am ashamed at you people...:mad:

No, just because you didn't use any Irish Moss doesn't mean your brew won't clear. Many of us don't use it (I do) and we still get clear brews. ;)

...and No, yo don't need to add any more yeast prior to bottling. :mug:

Have you oaked APAs in the past? I haven't used oak yet at all, but my investigation suggests that pales don't have the body to balance the oaky flavor, at least until it has conditioned for quite a while.

I've used oak in an IPA clone, not in an APA. I figured, maybe wrong, that the higher grain bill and 155 deg mash might give it enough body to stand up. I thought I read here that if you use geletin in the secondary the yeast are no longer sufficient to bottle condition.

I have yet to use Irish Moss, my IPA's have all cleared beautifully in the secondary even while being dry hopped.

Back