I've found it..I've found the Holy Grail!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, anyone? Do they use souring bugs or is that just the result of over the top ABV? I got a single for 8.90. Not really my thing, but I might get one more and tossed it in the basement for a year.

Again, anyone? Do they use souring bugs or is that just the result of over the top ABV? I got a single for 8.90. Not really my thing, but I might get one more and tossed it in the basement for a year.

No they don't use any bugs and probably wouldn't do them any good if they did. 20% ABV will pretty much kill off any souring bugs.

I think will enough citrus style hops (cascades, centennial, etc.) a big IPA can taste sour. I think some people react to bitterness and hops flavors different than others and a beer like this may have very different results depending on the taster.

I have yet to see a DFH120 but will pick one up to try when I get the chance. I believe if it is even legal in Ohio then it can only be sold at state liquor stores. The liquor stores I know of care very little for beer sales except for cases of the cheap stuff.

Craig

OK, gonna try it in a minute.

You have to get the DFH 120 at a Liquor store in Texas because of the high alcohol percentage.

FYI

DFH 60 - 6%

DFH 90 - 9%

DFH 120 - 20%

I'm on the over rated bandwagon as well. Sorry dude I hope you like them it's just not my cup of tea, to be perfectly honest I haven't been overly impressed with any of DFHs offerings, I'll give them an A+ for innovation and creativity but on making a solid beer not so much. Truth be told I'm a whore when it comes to hyped beer, I always have to try them, but a lot of the hyped beers have been somewhat disappointing.

Ok..I have taken a couple sips so far...

DSCN1888.jpg

Ok, here are my thoughts on the Dogfish Head 120 IPA

It is far from being an everday sipping beer, that is for damn sure. I was surprised to find the flavor of malt and even hops in this beer considering it is 20% ABV.

It is an extremely powerful brew and should be pulled out for special occasions or if you wanna start off a night of drinking with a "kick". lol

I can say I did enjoy it, but like I said before it is not a Beer that you drink and say 'Wow, i'd love to have another one"...this is due to the 20% ABV. I mean you cannot sit around and say "Wow, i'd like a couple more DFH 120". The high ABV simply won't allow it...unless you are a raging alcoholic? haha

I can say that it is definately good and even has flavor despite the high alcohol percentage. I have had a Beer from Romania that was 9.9% that tasted like a shot of liquor, took a drink and poured it out it was so bad. The DFH 120 I drank just fine.

I am enjoying a nice DFH 60 right now...this my friends is a wonderful drinking Beer. Leave the DFH 120 for special occasions, not only because of price but because of what it will do. haha

Cheers!

Every last Friday the General sutter, a local watering hole, has cask night. They always have three casks. I caled today to find out what the line up was. Betsy told me this month is:

DFH 60 minute
DFH 90 minute
and wait for it
wait for it
DFH
India brown ale.

Not really a let down, as the IBA is one of my favorite DFH brews, and I am drinking my clone of it right now. But the thought of a possible cask of 120 did make me do a dance in my head.

I'm on the over rated bandwagon as well. Sorry dude I hope you like them it's just not my cup of tea, to be perfectly honest I haven't been overly impressed with any of DFHs offerings, I'll give them an A+ for innovation and creativity but on making a solid beer not so much. Truth be told I'm a whore when it comes to hyped beer, I always have to try them, but a lot of the hyped beers have been somewhat disappointing.

Same here, really. I find their everyday "normal" beers, including 120 (not so normal) to just not do anything for me. I had the 60 minute a couple of months ago and it barely tasted like a Pale Ale to me. I couldn't even finish a Burton Baton it was so sweet.

Their crazy beers like Red and White, Black and Blue, their Barleywine, Theobrama, etc have all be quite good to me, though.

These things taste like maple syrup. I had one from 2001, it was good for pancakes, but not for beer. Honestly I don't know why people put DFH on a pedistal, they make very sweet, unattenuated beers. Maybe I'm spoiled being the the east coast. :p

These things taste like maple syrup. I had one from 2001, it was good for pancakes, but not for beer. Honestly I don't know why people put DFH on a pedistal, they make very sweet, unattenuated beers. Maybe I'm spoiled being the the east coast. :p

You cannot honestly say that about DFH 60 & 90...those are solid brews IMO. A truly custom flavor in which all of us homebrewers search for when we make our "brand". However the 120 is an anamoly. lol

I've had a few bottles of 120 myself. I'm around Chicago and it doesn't seem to be that hard to get around here (I searched for it a few months over the summer, but since then I've had no problem getting it). The first bottle I had I didn't really know what to think. It was good, but really just not what I expected after being a big fan of the 90 minute and tasted way too strong. Since then, I've had 5 or so more bottles, and it has grown on me a lot. Obviously it still isn't something I'll drink every day, but for special occasions I'll bust one out. I also like to crack one open whenever somebody starts talking to me about how they are a beer aficionado because they drink Sam Adams and have had a few "extreme" beers like Sierra Nevada (OK, probably an exaggeration, but you get the point). When I tell them I have something they've never tasted anything like before, and they don't believe me, I'll crack this open.

As far as DFH goes, I don't really think they are overrated or underrated. As a 23 year old who doesn't know that many people in the beer word myself, I pretty much had to discover them and taste all their brews myself. Obviously I heard some stuff about them, but I didn't really get a lot of hype. I have enjoyed everything I've gotten from them. Some more than others. I really like the Palo Santo wood aged beer a lot. I think it is 12%, and while it isn't nearly as big as 120, I think the flavor is much better for a big beer.

East coast? My friend, you have not lived until you've experienced the beer culture that is the Pacific NorthWest.

Alright, I have had DFH before but I can't remember which I had tried. Not bad.

My quick to get flamed question is...

Is it really that worth it? Consensus?

Holy crap as I paged through this thread I was thinking about posting a comment about people putting DFH120 on a pedestal but you beat me to it. Yea, I am not a fan of the 120. If I want a big IPA with tons of hoppiness then I will buy Ruination. DFH overall is pretty good though IMHO. Chicory stout rocks.

I've always found this beer to be overrated. We have family in Rehobeth, DE and I stop into the pub whenever I'm down there which is close to once a month. I've had it on tap and bottled and neither time has the beer impressed me or made me go "Wow".

Now the World Wide Stout on the other hand.... that's good stuff.

I also had been trying to get this forever. It's illegal in NC (and SC, VA, and just about everywhere else near me). When I was driving down to Florida once, I did my research to make sure I could find some while I was there. Bought a 6-pack and remember it being about $9 each.

I was slightly disappointed with it but only because of how hyped it is. I've always thought it would be the follow on to the 60 and 90 but it is not at all. The gravity is way too high to be anything like those and I should have expected that, I guess. The smell was straight bad but the flavor was actually enjoyable and perhaps a little sweet. To me it seemed there was very little to no hoppiness. Not at all what I expected, but pretty good. I drank the first one on election night and the second on Christmas eve because an old friend was over. I probably won't crack another for at least 6 months.

I was slightly disappointed with it but only because of how hyped it is.

I dunno...it always seems to me that few beers can live up to some of the massive hype that gets generated on forums. I know it's hard to go into tasting a new beer with out any expectations (especially something subject to furious discussion,like 120 or triple bock) but sometimes you really have to put all that behind you and try and see the beer for what it is.

PS. I quote you to comment on hype in general and not your specific circumstance.

I dunno...it always seems to me that few beers can live up to some of the massive hype that gets generated on forums.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. There are very few that seem to live up to your expectations, especially when you wait for long periods of time to try the "it" beer.

I think it is more exciting to try a beer with little to no buzz on the web, and to be blown away by it. Similar to wines.

I have had 120, and it is what it is supposed to be. An interesting unique brew. I doubt I will get another anytime soon, it didn't do much for me. If you want to try an IIPA that I think is out of this world, grab yourself a bottle, or better yet, a draft of Avery the Maharaja.

East coast? My friend, you have not lived until you've experienced the beer culture that is the Pacific NorthWest.

You know the thing is I think we are spoiled, sure maybe DFH is the best offering you can get in some areas. Not to brag, well sort of, but the PNW has got many areas or the country beat hands down. The offerings in Oregon alone are mind blowing.

I also had been trying to get this forever. It's illegal in NC (and SC, VA, and just about everywhere else near me). When I was driving down to Florida once, I did my research to make sure I could find some while I was there. Bought a 6-pack and remember it being about $9 each.

I was slightly disappointed with it but only because of how hyped it is. I've always thought it would be the follow on to the 60 and 90 but it is not at all. The gravity is way too high to be anything like those and I should have expected that, I guess. The smell was straight bad but the flavor was actually enjoyable and perhaps a little sweet. To me it seemed there was very little to no hoppiness. Not at all what I expected, but pretty good. I drank the first one on election night and the second on Christmas eve because an old friend was over. I probably won't crack another for at least 6 months.

I am pretty sure its not illegal in VA. I just moved to MD from Virginia Beach last August and the beer store across the street from my apartment use to get it in on a rare basis. Now up here in MD, every **** hole beer store has it.

DFH 60, 90 & 120 is how long the boil was and of course they continually Hop if the entire time of the boil.

DFH 60 is amazing and the Hops flavor is the best. The 90 gives you more malt flavor with a nice Hops flavor again. DFH 60 is probably my favorite.

The 120 I do not know yet. I will let you know once I try it.

Interesting. I think I may be becoming a hophead of sorts, or atleast be able to enjoy a hoppy brew more than I used to...it's a wonder what homebrewing has done for my awareness and appreciation of the different beer flavors....to the point though, I am drinking my first 60 minute IPA right how, having just returned home from the liquor store that I bitched to about not having any DFH IPA's for me to try (who then magically made them appear in cooler)...and it is fantastic. I wholeheartedly agree with you that this hop flavor is the best that I've ever had! I grew up on Alaskan Brewing Company Beer, and they are relatively (citrus?) hoppy overall, but this is a different, more enjoyable hoppiness. And this is coming from a guy who, two weeks ago would have sworn he was a malt dude...a whole new beer world is opening up before me.....

I am pretty sure its not illegal in VA. I just moved to MD from Virginia Beach last August and the beer store across the street from my apartment use to get it in on a rare basis. Now up here in MD, every **** hole beer store has it.

Ah, you are probably right. I was going off this wikipedia site:

Alcohol laws of the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Licensed supermarkets, convenience stores, and gas stations may sell beer and wine. ABV >14% wine and spirits sold in state stores. State stores closed on Sundays, except in Northern Virginia, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach. Numerous dry counties exist.

I took that to mean that only wine and liquor above 14% was legal.

As far as hype, living in PA where you have to buy beer by the case except for a few 6 pack stores that tend to stick to macro brew, I have to go by hype to try a beer because I am going to be buying a case of it. I have to hear a lot of good things about it before I buy it.

Today I bought a DFH sampler case - with 1 6er each of the 60 minute, the 90 minute, the IBA, and the Raison.

On this I am going by Panzer's raving reviews about the DFH stuff. If he is wrong I will blame him solely and harshly. Fires of disapprobation will rain down upon him if they are not awesome.

This same store has a Rogue sampler and I think a Stone sampler too. Should I try those? My problem is that I am not a fan of frou frou flavors in beers like chocolate and raspberry and one of the Rogue 6es is Mocha Porter and one of the Stone's is flavored too.

Interesting. I think I may be becoming a hophead of sorts, or atleast be able to enjoy a hoppy brew more than I used to...it's a wonder what homebrewing has done for my awareness and appreciation of the different beer flavors....to the point though, I am drinking my first 60 minute IPA right how, having just returned home from the liquor store that I bitched to about not having any DFH IPA's for me to try (who then magically made them appear in cooler)...and it is fantastic. I wholeheartedly agree with you that this hop flavor is the best that I've ever had! I grew up on Alaskan Brewing Company Beer, and they are relatively (citrus?) hoppy overall, but this is a different, more enjoyable hoppiness. And this is coming from a guy who, two weeks ago would have sworn he was a malt dude...a whole new beer world is opening up before me.....

Since you like a heavy malt flavor, you will love the DFH 90 then as it brings more malt flavor into the mix with the woinderful Hop flavor losing no affect. Give it a try STAT!

I did the 60 and 90 on Monday when I took the day off. The 90 is good but the 60 is great. The 120 I am still waiting to try, I need to pick a day when I don't, eh, need to be remotely sober after imbibing. :)

As far as hype, living in PA where you have to buy beer by the case except for a few 6 pack stores that tend to stick to macro brew, I have to go by hype to try a beer because I am going to be buying a case of it. I have to hear a lot of good things about it before I buy it.

Today I bought a DFH sampler case - with 1 6er each of the 60 minute, the 90 minute, the IBA, and the Raison.

On this I am going by Panzer's raving reviews about the DFH stuff. If he is wrong I will blame him solely and harshly. Fires of disapprobation will rain down upon him if they are not awesome.

This same store has a Rogue sampler and I think a Stone sampler too. Should I try those? My problem is that I am not a fan of frou frou flavors in beers like chocolate and raspberry and one of the Rogue 6es is Mocha Porter and one of the Stone's is flavored too.

You will love the 60 & 90...i have not tried the Raison or IBA so I cannot speak to them. If you don't like them though, ship them to me as I will take them anyday.

OK...I got the DFH 60, 90, Midas Touch and stopping tonight to get the 120...but I'm going to hang on to it till my birthday in July.

Can't wait! :tank:

OK...I got the DFH 60, 90, Midas Touch and stopping tonight to get the 120...but I'm going to hang on to it till my birthday in July.

Can't wait! :tank:

Yeah, no rush to jump on the 120 just yet...but it is imperative that you drink a few 60's and a 90 STAT!

Yes, living in the region with some of the largest variety of beer available, some of the best beer bars in the nation, the one region that gets more Russian River than anywhere outside of CA and drinks more Belgian beer than all of Belgium is pretty rough ;)

...you need to get out more. Pliny is on draft in the Glenside right now. How many people can say they are 30 minutes from a fresh tapped pint of Pliny?

I think it is more exciting to try a beer with little to no buzz on the web, and to be blown away by it. Similar to wines.

Srsly...De Proef Signature Les Deux Brasseurs Ale was that one most recently for me. Had no idea that it was going to totally blow me away when I had it back in November at the black Friday event.

I think Dogfish Head is generally overpriced, but they do make some interesting niche beers. I quite enjoy the Midas Touch, for instance, which tastes like a cross between a sweet dessert wine, a mead and a beer when drunk lightly chilled. The 120-minute is also interesting, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again.

Back