First Batch Fat Tire Clone - FG stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madirish

Reaction score
FG did not move once it got to 1.020 after 2 weeks in primary. Racked to secondary for an additional week. Beer still cloudy and didn't reduce any more. Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks, chilled one for 6 hours and tried it. It is still pretty flat but taste is good. Question, why did the FG stall out at 1.020 when it should have gone down to 1.010. What should I do on next batch to coax it down?

Noob to doing this, thanks for the help!

Extract or all grain? If extract, you probably wouldn't have gone much lower, depending on recipe with out some simple sugars to dry it out. It's hard to say with out seeing the recipe. Most of my extracts ended around 1016 to 1018. Some wouldn't go lower than 1020.

Also what yeast did you use, what temperature did you ferment at?

Used WLP001, 70F for primary, secondary and bottle conditioning. It is an extract plus steeping specialty grains. From reading the forum i think i did everything pretty much correct except i underestimated how much time it took to cool the wort to 70F, it took me about 45 minutes.

made a wort chiller for the second batch out of 1/4 diameter copper pipe, coiled garden hose in a playmate cooler full of ice and sat the boil tub in an icewater bath. Worked great as cooling time was approximately 10 minutes

There are alot of threads out there about the infamous extract "1.020" issue. If you didn't make a starter, consider it for future batches. An abundance of healthy yeast will help drive that gravity down.

Back