BigKahuna's Sailor's Reward Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I had the opportinuty to swap some beers with BigKahuna. Since Charles did me the favor of posting a real critique on one of my beers, I thought I'd attempt in my small way to do the same.

Prior warning: I am not a BJCP judge, and I didn't even stay at Holiday Inn Express last night. All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed. What I like in a pale ale is a beer that showcases the hops, but strikes a balance with the malt to produce a fairly crisp, refreshing beer.

Aroma: Some light floral and citrus notes. Understated, but no evidence of yeasty or off aromas. I'd really love a bit more aroma from this Pale Ale. (8/12)

Appearance: The beer pours a slightly hazy, amber-gold color. The head was smallish (less than a finger in a pint glass), and dissipated quickly with little to no lacing. If I were brewing this, I'd want better head retention and a bit more carbonation. (2/3)

Flavor: Very clean flavor, with no real off flavors to distract from the malt and hops. Now, I'm personally not the biggest Cascades fan, but this beer shows off the big C in its citrusy, back-of-the-mouth bittering best. The flavor is very dry, with no residual malt sweetness. A little unbalanced for my tastes, but not in any way bad. (15/20)

Mouthfeel: The beer is very dry, with the crisp, refreshing, light mouthfeel I look for in a Pale Ale. It's spot-on for a Pale ale. (5/5)

Overall Impression: This is a nice Pale Ale. I enjoyed both bottles that Charles gave me, and would have had more, if I'd had more. If I had to point out places where I think it could be better, I'd ask for a touch more carbonation and head retention. Also, I'd really love a bit more hop aroma, and perhaps a yeast with a somewhat less neutral flavor profile. A touch of fruitiness would really complete the signature Cascades bitterness. (8/10)

Total: 38/45

Thanks man. Do appreciate the review.

I think your review is SPOT ON, and I think that your stout is proof that we pretty much have the same taste in beer.
IF this manages to make it back into the rotation...and It might...but without the cascades....I'll use some S-04 and some torrified wheat to help with the head retention.

Back