Using a spring loaded bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
I just picked up a siphon with a spring loaded bottle filler attachment on the end. How do you actually work something like this? The bottle filler has a black tip on the end that can be pressed, do I just hold this onto the bottom of the bottle that I am filling until I am satisfied with the liquid volume?

The setup I have is a racking cane attached to a hard plastic tube via soft plastic. The hard plastic tube as the bottle filler attachment. The system also comes with a plastic clamp for starting/stopping the siphon.

thanks,
e

Yes. You just stick the bottle filler in the bottle, fill until it's all the way full and then take it out, which will leave a couple inches of head space.

That's exactly how you use it. you put it in the bottom of the bottle and press, it fills. You leave it in until the level of the beer is right up with the rim of the bottle and pull it out. The right amount of headspace will then be left in the bottle, after the wand is no longer displaceing it.

I couldn't stand using it on the hose, I ended up wasting a lot of beer, so I mounted mine on the spigot of my bottling bucket.

bottling_wand.jpg

bottling1.jpg

I then set the bucket on a pot and can fill sitting at the table holding the bottles at eye level.

I was wondering the same thing myself..that pic def helps. That red nozzle right there above the spigot...that only has to be opened once...and then the little black tip will do the rest?

I was wondering the same thing myself..that pic def helps. That red nozzle right there above the spigot...that only has to be opened once...and then the little black tip will do the rest?

Yes, that's it! :D

If you want to mount it, cut a 1.5-2" piece of bottling hose to use as a connector between spigot and wand. I use 2 plastic clips from my lhbs to connect it.

If you want to get the most beer out of your bucket and into your bottles rig up a dip tube. Get a rubber stopper that fits inside the rear end of the spigot, then get a piece of copper pipe or plastic tube and bend it downward till it is touching the bottom of the bucket, but with a timy gap.

dip1.jpg

dip2.jpg

I end up leaving only a couple ounces of beer and trub behind now...I usually get 54 beers out of a 5 gallon batch...Without having to tilt the bucket.

Back