Missed March, looking for a true Marzen Ale for October

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
I've noticed Octoberfest beers are all over the map. Looking for a tried and true , traditional Marzen to be brewed 4th of July week that will be perfect for consumption in October. Any links/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Then look for Cream Ale recipes, or use a really clean yeast, like Kölsch yeast. Either way, you'll need a way to keep temps down, like low 60's tops. Any higher than that and you'll get more yeast character.

If you want a tried and true marzen, you need to lager. I've used Yooper's oktoberfest recipe and loved it. Otherwise, I've heard there are some good ale versions.

Does anyone know of an Ale recipe that's good? I'm having a hard time finding one...

the bee cave looks great. Especially since I have a Koelsch that will be ready to bottle when I am ready to brew. I think I will just pour it onto the yeast bed

:mug:

Yeah, kolsch yeast will work well I think, and I've reused yeast cakes before. If you can keep the temps on the lower side, it will help it have that nice lager-like clean flavor. Also, you should take half the cake out. There is a growth phase that yeast has that it will not experience and I read somewhere on here that it could lead to off flavors because of that developmental phase, they eat and act a certain way and reduce certain off-flavors when they are spending a certain amount of energy multiplying.

This may sound stupid but, how would I take out half of the yeast cake?

lol, well any way you can think. You can sterilize a mason jar or two and scoop it out (and then wash and freeze those for future use!)

Back