Hello from Maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhughes

Reaction score
Thought I should introduce myself since I have a feeling I will be posting here quite often for my first brew day this weekend. I turned 21 today and I'm about to go out and get my first legal brews. I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions on what I should get. I have a pretty decent selection at a local health food store. My tentative list right now is a La Fin Du monde, a three philosophers, something from westmalle, and stone RIS. I want to try a lot of different styles before I make my first batch. I'm thinking a stout would fit me well. I had a guineas draught but it was quite watery and had minimal flavor. I believe I would like the style based on the flavor profile though. Any suggestions for a good stout that I may be able to find here in Maine? Sorry for the wall of text haha.

Maine Beer Company makes awesome beers, and has a vanilla stout called Mean Old Tom that I think is great. They also make one of the best porters I've ever had from New England called King Titus. Rising Tide, also a Maine brewery, has a smoky black ale called Atlantis that is one of the best beers I've had in recent years. It is very different than stout/porter, but definitely worth checking out. I've never seen hops and smoke paired so well. In fact, I am going to go buy it after I post this. (A little expensive, but worth it!) They make a stout, too, called Polaris, but I have yet to try it.

Welcome to the hobby! I think your approach is very smart. See what is out there, then decide what to brew.

I couldnt find much from Maine Beer Company and after I spent far too much I found Rising Tide in another store. That will definitely be on my list for next time. I did find a bomber of Grittys Black Fly Stout and that was awesome. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back